Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Temperature/Weather Storage of drums?

I live in a small cottage by a lake in Northern Massachusetts....not much room in the house for my two primary kits that I gig on. One is a 57 WFL and the other is newer Yamaha Maple Absolute. Does the harsh New England cold and moisture negatively impact these drums if left in my shed? It's so easy to back up to the shed in the driveway to load and unload but recently someone asked me if it's ok for the drums to leave them outside. I've been doing it for years and never noticed anything bad, however, now I'm wondering (and worrying) if there is something going on that I don't see and wondering if I should store them indoors during the winter.

thanks for your advice.

mike

Posted on 16 years ago

I would.

I live in California, in a climate much more pleasant than yours is most of the time... at least my winters are more pleasant. No snow. Cold yes, but no snow. Summers get pretty hot. It can be as low as 25-30 degrees in the garage in the winter, and in the summer, the garage temp can reach 135 or more inside with the door shut. Theres no insulation in the garage. The drums sleep in the house year round. All of them. Cases live in the garage. But not the drums.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I actually thought of CA when I wrote that. I've been visiting San Diego to LA for the past three years and wondered if that heat wreaked havoc on shells. The opposite end of the extreme from what I deal with, though we do get in the 90s during our short summer months.. So you take them out of the cases and put them back everytime you gig? Seems like a lot of work. Just curious why....Is it better to take them out of the cases? This is an area I never thought about Right now I'm inclined to take them all in but leave them in their cases.

thanks again for your reply.

Posted on 16 years ago

Yes, cold weather and humidity changes are bad for wood drums. Drums should be stored in a climate that a human would feel comfortable living in.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

,,,,,guess I'll have to make room in the house. ......thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago

If I have a gig coming up in the next few days, Ill keep them loaded and just bring the cased drums into the house.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

I never leave drums outside. Even when it's really late after a gig and I'm beat tired, I bring them in. I live in NH so it obviously gets cold. Those old WFL drums are like tanks but I still would not risk it.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for all the input on this. I took my two gigging kits in last night and took them out of the cases. There was so much moisture on them. I'm converted...from now on, all drums stay in the house....

Posted on 16 years ago

by the way, thanks for reminding me of football. It's been almost over a week and I was starting to get over "IT".

Posted on 16 years ago

Just earlier this winter, I had the wraps split on a set of DW's, and now I have to rewrap them, all because they got too cold, and when I brought them inside, they warmed up too quickly. The coefficient of expansion/contraction due to temperature is different for wood, metal, plastic, etc. and so they change at different rates, meaning OOPS!, one has to give. The other problem was the way that DW installed the wraps. They notched the corners where the wrap overlaps itself, so there wouldn't be a double thickness of wrap, but the square notch leaves a weak spot, and that is exactly where all the wraps split.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here