Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Student model RK #2 arrived.

First off big thanks to johnnyringo great packing and a no problems sale.

Plan for this one is pull all of the hardware except the 3pt, wrap in acid free paper and put away. Replace with new brass plated single flange rims and brass tube lugs/tr's/clips. Plate the 3pt and a correct butt plate.

Original shell finish is tight but nicely cracked. Just clean and wax there.

DFD seems to have most of the needed but still going to take awhile to source everything. Without further ado here is the befores.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

Nice snare!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

I remember this snare drum, enjoy it.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

May I ask why you are changing the rims , are they bent and and making it hard to tune - Because I'm wondering if that might be the problem with mine. Or is it just for 'cosmetic' reasons? I'm asking cos I'm getting interested to know if you can get modern replacements that are copies of the originals- I'm wondering if the slightly bent rims on my two RK snares is affecting tuning ( my drums are quite level ) if so I wouldn't mind putting the 'correct replacements on them. One has stick choppers (40s) the other has sticksavers ( 60s).- of course I will keep the originals . Can anyone some give advise? Apologies ( me and 'those two' drums again) but apart from an Acrolite a supra and a 40s ride there all I've got!!

I love the jazz era
Posted on 9 years ago

Only reason replacing the hardware is I like the outstanding 1920's tube lug snares that are posted here. Real ones are not in the budget. Don't much care for this Slingerland lug style. 50's 3ply re-ring 3 point strainer shells are perfect for "roll your own" projects. Typical for this era lugs were installed while paint/finish was still wet. Easy to spot non-original hardware. On to your issues.

I have come to the conclusion that single flange rims must have calf heads. Per factory. With Mylar heads, rim distorts and will not provide even tension.

One thing to check is smooth bearing edges. Steel wool is a bad idea here. Bits of metal will embed and may rust, I use the green dish scrubbers and bees wax.

"Bent" is a rather broad term. Suggest you start a new thread with pictures of the rims.

As far as I know nobody is making Slingerland reproduction rims. Not a worry as originals can be found on eBay. Any questions just ask.

Creighton

Posted on 9 years ago
-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
'76 Ludwig Supraphonic
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat
Posted on 9 years ago

So here is first assembly test. Very happy. Still sounds as these do.

All brass parts are Drum Factory Direct. Quality and service was once again top notch.

Taking it back apart to refine some issues. Strainer bits off for brass plating this week.

Remo black suede batter and Puresound 20 strand on the way.

Fun project. Will update as I go. Hope it is not a year later...

Takes a double click on the first photo to get it right side up. Apologies.

Creighton

3 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Creighton!

Your drum is looking good! I'm curious as to which tube lugs you are using. Slingerland's lugs are spaced at 2-1/4", but the closest tube lug you can get is 2-3/16". Is this what you used? If so, did the holes in the shell need to be slightly modified?

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Hi Mark,

The 2-3/16" fit with no mods.

Creighton

Posted on 8 years ago

Man, that looks great! Where do you get your "brass plating" done? I priced chrome plating here in southeastern PA for the rims on my massive slingy rehab last year.

WOE! Sticker shock. Had to search and buy authentic replacements. COB no less....Dean

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here