Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Student model RK #2 arrived.

From Creighton

Hi Mark,The 2-3/16" fit with no mods.Creighton

Good to know!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Hey Dean,

Plating is spendy. Local shop in Spokane. Not going to make it over this week but will post the quote next week. Brass plating is applied before chrome/nickel so any chrome shop could do this.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

Last photo before tear down III. Will be able to use the two images on the shell with easy remove if needed. Water based ink, gold sparkle. On top of multiple coats of wax. Hot water wipe off.

Bit of work before get to that point.

Comments/suggestions welcome !!.

Thanks.

Creighton

Yikes forgot, images from Lost-Coast-Designs.com. Get an arse chewing if don't credit source...

Posted on 8 years ago

So ink test underway. Think "Color Box" Gold will work. Stamped on various surfaces for testing. Wipes off with iso alcohol. Would take top coat of wax off as well but can't see any major issues. Missing throw lever scribed out. Small progress...

Creighton

3 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Looks really cool! Can't wait to see it all finished.

Posted on 8 years ago

Very cool project. Looks good.

Some remarks though. I'm not a purist so.... I think, with al the new hardware, freshley plated throw, I don't see the point of keeping the original shell finish. If it were my project I'd redo the shell as well.

And... I don't understand the black batter head, why black. In my opinion a drum like this looks way better with a (creamy) white head or a calf-like head.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks all !

On the shell finish. Was no need to repaint this one. 50 year plus factory paint that has aged can't be replaced. Then we have taking a perfectly good badge off for the painting process...

Black head is just because I like it on this drum. Snare side will be clear. Long way from done so will post updates when available.

Comments make for better builds. Let me know what you think.

Creighton

Posted on 8 years ago

Well in consulting with an expert on all things ink/paint. Have an issue.

Gold ink would need to dry for a couple of weeks before a wax overcoat could be applied. The modern inks have solvents that will penetrate wax and base laquer paint. That kills the add swirls to this build. Unless hand painted with safe ink. Not worth the effort.

Bottom line is this shell gets restored back to it's vintage black shine with the brass hardware. Shopping for another shell that has bad paint for gold swirl build. Glad I checked first.

Creighton

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here