Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

stuck between 2 kits (need advice)

I am lookin for advice on choosing between 2 drum kits...I would like the advice to be based on (which is worth more and more collectible and which fits my needs better. its between a ludwig downbeat champaine sparkle keystone badge preserial num, and mid late 60's rogers holiday kit wmp rewrap(buddy rich size)

both kits are simular priced.....the ludwig downbeat has original stands and everything, including a matching wood snare thats like a modern picalo(i guess its about 3x14 and it has the lugs that run horizontal and not vertical) then ofcoarse 20 kick, 12 tom, 14x14 floor with short legs...(the wrap is original and perfect)

the buddy rich kit looks brand new but it is a rewrap...24,13,16,16 with a cob dynasonic snare 5x14.

i do play mainly rock but i guess i could tune the downbeat lower if needed ?

Also what do you think these kits should cost.

Posted on 14 years ago

If you plan on gigging with them, go with the re wrapped Rogers. If they get dinged up, doesn't matter, the wraps not original. The Ludwigs, if all original would stay in my garage, and only go out on very rare occasions.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Ludwig......not re-wrapped....enough said!

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

^^^+1^^^

The word "rewrap" negates collectible value in this particular scenario. Plus, it sounds like you have a complete Downbeat kit with the Downbeat snare drum -which should measure out to be a 4 X 14. Nothing against a nice Rogers kit or anything, but there is no comparison in this comparison, in my opinion.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

do you think the downbeat could do the rock thang...

also what would you say the value is on each kit?

Posted on 14 years ago

Well, all's I can say is that between those two drum sets in the scenario, the Ludwig Downbeat kit sounds like the better investment. How you apply yourself to it is up to you.

The Downbeat snare drum isn't my favorite sounding snare drum -at least mine isn't. But, it's a valuable snare drum. And with the matching kit to go with it, you have a solid investment. Buy the drums, shelve the snare drum and get a Supra -would be my plan. Don't bash them to death, over-tighten the screws, take some precaution, etc., and you're as good-to-go as any other drummer would have been back in the 60's. Nothing is foolproof, of course, and I have no idea of how you approach a set of drums.

Both sets would probably sound great in the right hands. Are those hands yours? I don't know. Only you could say for sure. All I can do is give an opinion about the investment value of the two sets in the comparison.:2Cents:

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Well personally I think the Ludwig is the more valuable and nicer of the 2 sets. And from an investment stand point it will only become more valuable. But I wouldn't dare take it out on a gig, not a chance. So buy both, keep the Luddy at home to enjoy and take the Rogers out. Or just buy the Ludwig and keep your Slingerland set to practice and play out with.Kiss

1958 WFL Super Classic Sky Blue Pearl
1964 Ludwig Club Date Red Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Black Pearl
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Pink Champagne Sparkle
1969 Ludwig Hollywood Sky Blue Pearl
1971 Ludwig Big Beat Black Panther
1976 Ludwig Power Factory Outfit Black Vistalite
1997 Mapex Orion Classic Transparent Purple
Posted on 14 years ago

From new_user

Well personally I think the Ludwig is the more valuable and nicer of the 2 sets. And from an investment stand point it will only become more valuable. But I wouldn't dare take it out on a gig, not a chance. So buy both, keep the Luddy at home to enjoy and take the Rogers out. Or just buy the Ludwig and keep your Slingerland set to practice and play out with.Kiss

I agree. Eat beans, whatever... get both. Maybe sell the Slingy (f you still have it) and gig with the Rogers kit. Keep the Ludwig kit in cases or bags in the garage or closet. Take it out every so often and make other drummers envy you! LOL

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago

As far as value, and I know this is not what you wanna hear, but there is an incomplete Downbeat in almost new condition around here, mind you minus the snare, and the guy is asking, for the 20-12-14, 1500, in Champ...so... I honestly think that is high by a third or so. But they are immaculate.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Ludwig is still in business and looking like they are taking over in NA with some great new lines and lots of well known endorsers.LUDWIG hands down.The Rogers are just as good,but who remembers them....except us?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here