Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Spartacus

Now that the Bevereley Blue Badge project is finished (see gallery) I started a new project I had my mind on for quite a while. I'm calling it Spartacus.

It is going to be a very special one-of-a-kind drumset made out of antique metal marching drums. All orphans.

Untill now I've got material for a 14 inch snare drum (NOB), a 14 inch floor tom (very old patinated NOB with blue wood hoops), a 16 inch floortom (copper, home made, see furtheron), a 22 x 10 inch bass drum (100 years old patinated yellow copper). Still looking for material for a 12 inch tom.

I'm planning on making every drum look different, on purpose. I want the set to be a family of different characters with some similarities (the similarities being: old, a metal drum, a marcher, single tension rods [hence the name spartacus], not so deep).

I'm using the measure "Inch" here... Off course that's impossible with antique european drums. I found a solution for that, one that also helps me out on the risk of ending up with a kit that sounds tinny. I'm making thick beech re-ring in modern sizes (12, 14, 16, 22) and I will glue the metal shells around them (after cutting them open of course). More or less like the Q-drums copper drumsets.

I'm a bit ashamed to say: For making the re-rings I'm cutting up a sonor action!!!! This set I bought for allmost nothing (it had a ruined wrap) and was planning on staining and laquering the beech shells some day. However, I have to be thrifty with my time and like to spend it on a weird project like this much better than on a dull project like the sonor action. And making re-rings myself would be a whole lot of time. So, I put one and two together.... Feels odd to cut up a perfectly good drum shell. Oh well, I'll get over it.

In this post some rough pictures of the starting material.

In the next post some pics and words on the floortom. I'll do drum after drum (not all at the same time) and will keep you posted.

3 attachments
Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 9 years ago

Floortom, 16 inch.

This drum is actually not an existing (musical) drum at all. I'm "making it up". In the pictures you'll see hoops cut from the Sonor floor tom and making the re-rings (glueing one hoop inside another). You'll see an old copper drum that was in a large kitchen-boiler one day, I got it from my dad, who is a plumber. I'll cut it open and wrap it around the re-rings. I'll polish the copper, give it creamy white painted woodhoops and thick single tension rods/screws. I'll keep this updated.

Posted on 9 years ago

I`m really enjoying following your projects...They are out of the ordinary...I`ll be following this one as well...

Great work!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 9 years ago

Very cool project. Love the old metal shells. That boiler shell is very nice too! Are those brass/metal hoops for the bass or just wood hoops painted gold? What a great collection of drums to use for this.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

Hi Glen,

bass drum shell/hoops/rods all yellow copper!!!

I'm planning on not doing anything about the surface, leave it patinated by time as it is. But first the 16 inch floortom.

Posted on 9 years ago

Fascinating project idea! I'll be following this one for sure.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

From bartw

Floortom, 16 inch.This drum is actually not an existing (musical) drum at all. I'm "making it up". In the pictures you'll see hoops cut from the Sonor floor tom and making the re-rings (glueing one hoop inside another). You'll see an old copper drum that was in a large kitchen-boiler one day, I got it from my dad, who is a plumber. I'll cut it open and wrap it around the re-rings. I'll polish the copper, give it creamy white painted woodhoops and thick single tension rods/screws. I'll keep this updated.

This is real good.

BTW, What is the OD of the copper shell?

Will a standard head fit it?

I made an 9.5x8 stainless steel tom from a wastebasket.

Goodwill drum shell company. Looked at it, measured for a standard head. Seemed to be calling out to be a drum rather than a trash receptacle.

I did not know that your metal shells were made that large.

Great PROJECT.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 9 years ago

From green glass drum

This is real good.BTW, What is the OD of the copper shell?Will a standard head fit it?I made an 9.5x8 stainless steel tom from a wastebasket.Goodwill drum shell company. Looked at it, measured for a standard head. Seemed to be calling out to be a drum rather than a trash receptacle.I did not know that your metal shells were made that large.Great PROJECT.

Ha ha ha, this is so funny. Somewhere in the back of my mind it sais: "Still need some kind of metal shell to make a 12 inch tom......" So this influences how I look at the objects around me, especialley metal cylinders. Can't tell ya how much I've been checking metal waste baskets!!!!! I measure them all the time. In my case it's ok if it would be al little bigger then 12 inch, because I'll cut it open and wrap it around the re-ring. Most of all I would like to find a really old brass or copper 12 (or12+) snare drum with single flanged or strip hoops. Or something like that. I'll see. I allready found a handhammered yellow copper pan that I can make a 12 inch tom of, but I'm waiting for something better. There's plenty of time, it will take me months to do the 16, 22 and 14 inch drums (it's hobby I do next to a day-time job).

Don't know the OD's. All I know is that regular heads don't fit at all, didn't measure them. But sizes are going to be 12/14/16/22.

How does your drum sound compared to a wooden 10 inch tom?

Posted on 9 years ago

Bright and loud but pretty good.

This was a solid stainless steel cylinder with no seams or holes.

Not thin. High end wastebasket dude.

Thickness of a Ludwig stainless shell.

The OD was 8-inches.

I cut the bottom off.............carefully on table saw.

A little danger there.

I know what you mean about looking at cylinders everywhere all the time.

Potential.

I guess my drum is "not vintage". OT

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 9 years ago

Wow yellow copper! That's the highest copper content of that metal. Unless there's a new one I don't know about. :o So cool the hoops are copper too. At 100 years old there can't be many of those around. Where did you find it? Amazing. This will be fun to watch.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here