Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Sometimes you get lucky...

Sometimes you get get burned.

And sometimes you get your big brass ones flattened by a dumbass lumberjack from Seattle.

Saw this while I was looking for other parts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-14-10-Lug-Steel-Shell-Snare-Drum-Made-in-Japan-/401054866817?hash=item5d60bb9d81:g:RAYAAOSwLN5Wlt0O

I knew better. That is COB not steel. The replacement throw off was Pearl, and the holes line up. No problem. Heck, I could go for that. With it marked as "steel" I thought I might have a chance to score a second COB at a good price. I LOVE the other one I have. 2 snares + 2 tunings = more fun!

$105.23 and four days later I am lovingly fondling the scum covered Asian beauty. Then I see it. The Neanderthal that replaced the throw off decided that it needed to be flush with the shell. Throw offs don't bend, but brass does.

Soap Box

Refund request in process.

2 attachments
Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 8 years ago

I saw that drum on ebay; saw the 3 lines and knew it brass.

That was a good deal.

Posted on 8 years ago

Put it together and stick a firecracker through the vent.

Really, if you can`t, go to an auto body guy.:D

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 8 years ago

I had a dent in my 4514 and I used a piece of wood and a hammer. It got the dent out. The shell is very malleable.

Posted on 8 years ago

It hasn`t creased the crimps, He must be very careful.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 8 years ago

I had my eye on this snare too, but I bought a 6.5 x 14 outright for a bit less (after ship) i got a rush of blood to the head when I saw it on eBay. It had some missing parts on the butt end of the parallel strainer that I figured would be easily fixed / replaced, but try find those parts anywhere, you won't find them. I seem to always learn these things the hard way. My plan B was to buy a cheapo MIJ with parallel strainer to harvest for parts. My thinking was that all these MIJ drums used similar parts and can be interchangeable so I bought another MIJ snare sight unseen for another 50 bucks posted to me from another collector friend. It turned out that the two strainers have absolutely nothing in common with each other and I couldn't use it to get the Jupiter up and running. I'm now stuck with that drum and a very sad Pearl Jupiter with a strainer that's kaputt. A banged up shell seems pretty minor compared to my COB Pearl woes. ;)

Posted on 8 years ago

I saw that too - but that last photo gave it away for me. I was fortunate to see the damage.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

I saw that too - but that last photo gave it away for me. I was fortunate to see the damage.

Ahhhh, now I see it. Good eye, John! Hmm. I thought they were showing the busted snare wire not the dent (and maybe they were.) If they caught the dent I'd guess that they would have made a comment on it.

I did get a reply from them. They offered to give me a large discount on it if I agree to keep it. So I tore it down and cleaned it up to have a look.

I measured around the drum at both bearing edges to see if there is any deviation or 'out of roundness.' There is a very slight (1/32") on the snare side. Measured from bearing edge to bearing edge there is a 1/16" difference from norm at the dent.

One of the lugs (almost) opposite of the throw off looks like it got hit, too. But it is only a slight dent. I suppose the damage could have been from a crushing action and I may owe an apology to Seattle area lumberjacks who replace parts on drums. Sorry Seattle area lumberjacks. I was wrong to refer to any of you as dumbass Neanderthals.

I took a superball mallet to the shell and gave it a whack in a couple places. The area with dents have different pitches than the rest of the shell. If I keep it and bend out the dents is there a chance that this is going to give me weird overtones?

I'll throw some more pictures up when I have some daylight to work with. I have a hard time photographing metal with flash...

Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 8 years ago

From Chromeo

I had my eye on this snare too, but I bought a 6.5 x 14 outright for a bit less (after ship) i got a rush of blood to the head when I saw it on eBay. It had some missing parts on the butt end of the parallel strainer that I figured would be easily fixed / replaced, but try find those parts anywhere, you won't find them. I seem to always learn these things the hard way. My plan B was to buy a cheapo MIJ with parallel strainer to harvest for parts. My thinking was that all these MIJ drums used similar parts and can be interchangeable so I bought another MIJ snare sight unseen for another 50 bucks posted to me from another collector friend. It turned out that the two strainers have absolutely nothing in common with each other and I couldn't use it to get the Jupiter up and running. I'm now stuck with that drum and a very sad Pearl Jupiter with a strainer that's kaputt. A banged up shell seems pretty minor compared to my COB Pearl woes. ;)

Wow. So you need strainer parts for a Jupiter? Now you've got me curious. Are there are other MIJs that used the same strainer? Have you looked at the cb700s? Not that they are all too common. Well sir, you have a worthy quest. When you find that piece I'll bet you fall in love with that drum. You have company here in 'learning things the hard way.' DOH Oh boy...... the stories you don't want to hear...

Posted on 8 years ago

From OddBall

Put it together and stick a firecracker through the vent. Really, if you can`t, go to an auto body guy.:D

Great idea since my go-to guy for both fireworks and dent repair works at Acme Auto body.

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here