Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Snare wires for 1967 Camco 99 SUPER

Okay, my machinist buddy has reproduced the missing parts that Kevin and I were needing. The tension knob ( I guess that what you call it) was an exact match except for the knurling on the edge, that's because I wanted it to match my tone control knob. I cant thank Kevin enough for sending me his parts to use as a model for my parts. I did have my buddy make Kevin a rod that goes between the strainer and butt for his drum , it was a perfect match to mine as well. Now both Kevin and I are faced with the task of finding snare wires to fit this mechanism. Any help would be appreciated, I still think there must be a way to cut down a new set of wires or someone must make custom snare wires somewhere in this country.

Thank you Kevin!!!!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 8 years ago

Well guys after lots of searching I found these Cannon UP20XL snare wires, made for a 15" drum. With a few modifications I got them to work. And the time and effort to have parts made and figure out the wires was worth it all, the drums sounds fantastic! Thanks again to Kevins for lending me his wire tension knob or what ever its called so my buddy Leonard could make me an identical one. Kevin you are a good guy!

3 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 8 years ago

An excellent job, Jeff! Well done!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

From idrum4fun

An excellent job, Jeff! Well done!-Mark

Thank you Mark!

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 8 years ago

Jeff I missed that Nov post completely! Geeze where was I? Super cool job your buddy did on those parts. Wholly smokies!! Very nice of Kev to loan you the parts too. A win win for all. Great job on those snare wires too. I love seeing stuff like this. Congrats getting this one knocked off the list. :)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago

From FFR428

Jeff I missed that Nov post completely! Geeze where was I? Super cool job your buddy did on those parts. Wholly smokies!! Very nice of Kev to loan you the parts too. A win win for all. Great job on those snare wires too. I love seeing stuff like this. Congrats getting this one knocked off the list. :)

Hey thanks Glenn, it just goes to show what great people we have here on this forum! Kevin really did a nice thing by trusting me with a very precious, pretty much non existent part. And now we have a source for others to benefit from as well.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 8 years ago

I recently acquired an Oaklawn Camco Super 99 with the first generation hoops (single support rod). The original 20 strand snares which are overly stretched and buzz, measure 15-5/16" from end to end and 14-5/16" between solder points. The end plates on either side are 1/2" long X 1-7/8" wide, and the single mounting hole on either end plate measures 1/8" O/D. The drum shell itself is 13-7/8" in diameter.

After a bit of research I have discovered that the Cannon company was sold off and the UP20XL snares (15-1/4" end to end) which are talked about here are almost extinct. The basic accommodation (as I understand it) is that one has to mount the set screw within the strap slot. Luckily, I was able to find a slightly used set on Reverb and they are on their way to me now.

I have also found that Canopus offers to repair or custom build snare wires. As I have the originaI snares as a template, I may investigate this further to see how many children this will cost me.

-kdg

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 1 year ago

From nopork

The store label was the only thing on the package and it said Pearl SO25 so assume that is a Pearl part number.

Big yes.

Pearl S-025 is the best way -- not hard to adapt for 14" parallel strainers.

Cheers,

George.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here