Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Snare Drum Rewrap Project

I had been looking for a project Slingerland wood shell to restore and wrap to match my Vintage Sky Blue Pearl set I rewraped with 60's orphan shells, but never came across one. I got a nice 10 lug wood 6 ply 6 1/2"x14" maple/poplar, or Maple/Mahogany Cannon snare with some drums I bought a few years ago and it is a nice drum and sounds great. Never could find any info on it and had never even seen another one like it in pics or in person. It is a really nice drum. Lo and behold one showed up on eBay last week and knowing what a nice snare it is I bought it to wrap and match my Slingerlands. Here it is stripped with the original black wrap still on it.

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Removed the wrap. It was glued all the way around top and bottom about a inch. I had to use a heat gun as I lost only a couple shards at the overlap as I didn't realize it was glued all the way round and pulled it. Some wood putty fixed it. A little goo gone and some wd40 should handle that glue residue.

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

WD-40 will stain and effect new glue on the wood. Sand paper or sandpaper or papersand,...however you view it, it`s what you should do.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 6 years ago

Start with 80, it turns into 120 rather quickly.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 6 years ago

I'd say hit it again with heat and a scraper. I've gone through this numerous times and as stated above WD-40 will do not so nice things with the wood. It's a tough lubricant and once it gets in, it ain't coming out. I have a like / dislike with goo gone. It works great on some things, not so much on others. I've never had a good experience with it removing drum glue residue ( but that's just my experience ) Sanding is also another option but you will blow through sand paper like it's no one's business.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 6 years ago

Ok guys, thanks. It actually is coming off with me rubbing it with my fingers. I won't use the other solvents on it.

Posted on 6 years ago

If you need to, lighter fluid actually works really well at removing sticky residue.

If it's just bare wood, you can also use acetone (i.e. nail polish remover) and that is more aggressive than lighter fluid. It's harmful to wrap, but should be fine on bare wood.

Posted on 6 years ago

I got my wrap but need to trim off about 3/8 inch.

Posted on 6 years ago

Trimmed the wrap and wraped the drum this morning. Hardware on tomorrow.

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Looks like it is going to be sweet! I got to give wrapping drums a try. Had you done this before?

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here