Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Slingerland Smoky Pearl

Hello friends! It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here. Some time ago I picked up a 60’s Slingerland kit that someone had painted green. 13”, 16”, and snare drum (14”) all painted green. ��. They also put a 80’s or 90’s Pearl double mount on the bass drum. They did not paint the bass drum green however. I wasn’t sure if the bass drum was faded merlot or darkened champagne. After more research I realized it was smoky pearl. Good news was that even though the wrap on the bass drum was pulling away from the shell at the seam, the rest of the toms and snare were also smoky pearl. I was able to remove the green paint with a lot of success. Please see the pics below and I will continue with my story of this smoky pearl kit.

Edit: I forgot I can’t upload photos from my iPhone so Please stand by while I arrange the pics.

Posted on 4 years ago

Nice project. The BD wrap is sure projecting copper highlights consistent with Champagne Sparkle. According to Slingerland historian Dr. Wenk the Smokey Pearl wrap was only officially available in the late 50's. Your shells with clear maple interior are 60's or later. Any badges/serials or date stamps? Looking forward to seeing that green paint removed.

Posted on 4 years ago

Looks like someone painted the existing kit.. just so to accommodate inclusion of the brand x? concert tom..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 4 years ago

I finally figured out how to resize the pics so I can post from my phone. So getting back to the project. I the wrapped Cleaned and polished Unfortunately it was a brittle in some spots and pulled the top layer of wrap off. This happend mainly around the lugs and seam. I also noticed that the wrap looked strange on the bass drum and floor tom where the holes should meet up. The weren’t lined up well at all. It looked like the wrap on these two drums had been removed from another drum and put on another set of drums. This is all assumption based thoughts. The drums are all stamped ‘64 inside. So to slingerfan point about smoky pearl only being offered in the late 50’s makes some sense.

Even though the wrap doesn’t line up well at the holes it is tight to the shell. The 13” had a pearl mount added also. The snare cleaned up well but it is missing the knob on strainer. I’ll post more pics below. I want to finish these up by patching all the plugged holes but I’m struggling to find smoky pearl wrap or something close to match. I’m open to ideas.

Posted on 4 years ago
Posted on 4 years ago

Looks to be a Gene Krupa 1N kit. With the additional pictures this does indeed appear to be Smokey Pearl. While not officially available in '64 it is possible that left over wrap could show up on a drum several years after it's official availability. If factory wrapped the BD should have two seams, with one edge tucked under and the other edge over. The seams on the snare and rack tom look correct. Where is the FT seam? BTW, does the snare drum have a '64 date stamp also?

Posted on 4 years ago

Nice work as always Eric!

Mike

Posted on 4 years ago

From mlayton

Nice work as always Eric!Mike

Thanks Mike!

Disappointed that I didn’t get to see you this year buddy. Next year!

Posted on 4 years ago

From ec_curtis

Thanks Mike! Disappointed that I didn’t get to see you this year buddy. Next year!

Same here man. All we can do is look forward to next year!

Posted on 4 years ago

From slingerfan

Looks to be a Gene Krupa 1N kit. With the additional pictures this does indeed appear to be Smokey Pearl. While not officially available in '64 it is possible that left over wrap could show up on a drum several years after it's official availability. If factory wrapped the BD should have two seams, with one edge tucked under and the other edge over. The seams on the snare and rack tom look correct. Where is the FT seam? BTW, does the snare drum have a '64 date stamp also?

Looks like the snare is dated 64. Here’s the date stamps inside all 4 drums. Also a pic of the seem of the floor tom.

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here