Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Slingerland Radio King - Questions

Hello all, my name is Josh and I'm new around here. I'm only 19 but have been a big collector of drums of all kinds for many many years. I used to work in a drum shop with a huge vintage collection, which sparked my interest in such drums. I look forward to meeting everyone and taking in as much knowledge as possible on this forum. :)

I come to you today with one of my most recent additions to my collection. After reading the "Identify Your Drum" page I gathered as much info as I could for you all, with the hopes of learning more about these drums and their possible value. Here's what I've put together...

This is an incomplete Slingerland Radio King kit from the mid-50's (I think) still in their original WMP wrap. The kit consists 14x20 bass drum and a 8x12 tom (looking for a matching 14" floor). The drums have wood shells - 3 ply I think, reinforcement hoops and an unpainted interior. There is what I identified as a Slingerland "all brass oval badge" on the bass, but there isn't a badge on the tom. The lugs are the "beavertail" style and the hoops have "Slingerland Radio King" engraved in them. All of the hardware appears to be in good condition and with some clean-up I think it would look great. The only real imperfections are the following: Some of the bass t-rods are bent, the black paint on the hoops is worn in spots, and the spurs are very rusty. On a more positive note, the wrap on all the drums is in excellent condition and the inlay on the hoops is in great shape as well. Both drums also have their original calfskin heads.

Over all I'm interested in finding the best way to bring out the best in the hardware, if there is any way of properly straightening the t-rods on the bass, and really just any and all info about my drums.

I'm very interested in finding a matching 14" floor tom for the kit, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. If it isn't worth looking into, I'd possibly sell the drums, but don't know if that is worth it either. Basically, I'd love to learn as much as possible about these babies and am very interested in everyone's thoughts and/or opinions.

Thanks a ton in advance! ~Josh

[IMG]http://thumb6.webshots.net/t/20/21/4/76/71/2469476710100377106mqPuyd_th.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumb6.webshots.net/t/16/17/4/45/41/2225445410100377106iyiuXu_th.jpg[/IMG]

More pictures can be found here:

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi...14" floor toms were not offered during that era. 16s were. There are 12 x 14 toms from that era, however, that would work well as floor toms...

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Hi...14" floor toms were not offered during that era. 16s were. There are 12 x 14 toms from that era, however, that would work well as floor toms...

Thanks for the info. I'm really just looking for the proper floor tom to complete this kit. A 16" is is actually more appealing to me, so I am pleased with the news.

Any idea how easy such drums are to come by? As far as finding the additional drum, I mean. Thanks again :)

Posted on 17 years ago

From that era i think it would be difficult to find "loners"...I have a 58 kit which they called sound king lugs,i think,so if you want to sell what you have at any time please let me know....thx

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

Welcome to the site! Those are very nice drums...they look like a close match in fade to my Radio King snare (pic below). I had a similar situation when I found a RK bass drum and tom, with no floor tom. I discovered that the 16's are out there, but they can go for quite a bit of money, and it's hard to find one that would match the fade of your drums. It seems there are a lot of RK kits around that are missing the floor tom, so a lot of people want one. Having said that, I think RK prices have gone down in recent years, and I don't believe you would have to pay as much for one as you for say, a 14x14 Rogers FT. Maybe in the range of $600? A quick search shows one on ebay right now - http://cgi.ebay.com/SLINGERLAND-RADIO-KING-FLOOR-TOM-16-LATE-30S-N-R_W0QQitemZ140087654203QQihZ004QQcategoryZ38096QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Go get it!

[img]http://www.billmaley.com/rks3.jpg[/img]

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago

I actually did see that on eBay - I've been searching like crazy. I couldn't tell if those were the same lugs that go with my kit though. Would adding a drum like that make the full kit more marketable if I were to sell it?

Posted on 17 years ago

Let's do the math. Someone correct me if my numbers are way off here. Let's say the BD is worth between $300 and $400. And the tom $150 to $300. So what you've got would pull in somewhere between $450 and $700. Then let's say you bought a floor tom for $600. If it were a perfect match, this could bring the kit into the $800 to $1200 range. So basically it might make you a little more money, but not a lot. Ebay is always a crap shoot though. I would say it depends on how much trouble you feel like going to. I can say for me personally it is a lot of fun and very rewarding to hunt for a missing drum that completes a kit. Depending on the kit, I sometimes lose money and sometimes make money, but usually about break even.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Let's do the math. Someone correct me if my numbers are way off here. Let's say the BD is worth between $300 and $400. And the tom $150 to $300. So what you've got would pull in somewhere between $450 and $700. Then let's say you bought a floor tom for $600. If it were a perfect match, this could bring the kit into the $800 to $1200 range. So basically it might make you a little more money, but not a lot. Ebay is always a crap shoot though. I would say it depends on how much trouble you feel like going to. I can say for me personally it is a lot of fun and very rewarding to hunt for a missing drum that completes a kit. Depending on the kit, I sometimes lose money and sometimes make money, but usually about break even.

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. I wasn't really sure at all what I should be looking to ask if I were to sell them. I'm very into looking for a final piece, but I'm already doing that with a 60's Ludwig Club Date red sparkle kit I have, so I'm not sure if I can afford to do both projects right now, as I'm a jobless college student. That kit I have everything except the floor tom as well, including the snare, so I'm ****her along with that one.

I think I'm going to try to clean up what I have right now and probably put them up for sale.

**EDIT: Absolutely gorgeous snare by the way!

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

From that era i think it would be difficult to find "loners"...I have a 58 kit which they called sound king lugs,i think,so if you want to sell what you have at any time please let me know....thx

Not that it matters all that much, but there was a discussion of the term Radio King on another forum regarding toms and basses. In the '55 catalog, the sound king lugs are introduced, yet the drums are still called "Radio Kings". In the 1960 catalog they're just referred to as Slingerlands.

Some people consider the basses with the Radio King style T rods and the toms with the mahogany interior and wide glue rings "Radio Kings". (This is pretty drum geeky!"

The WMP 1950s floor toms do show up from time to time. I've been looking forever for a black diamond one of the same era as the above drums...a friend has the 14 x 20 and 8 x 12 as well, only in BDP.

Posted on 17 years ago

I also think it will be easier to find a 14x14 Ludwig Club Date floor tom to complete that kit then it will be to find the Slingerland floor. I'm only planning on keeping one of the two for now, since I have limited space, so that is also a factor.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here