Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Slingerland "Jet" Repro...

Here's one of my next projects.

I have a set of COW Slingerland marching toms: 12x14, 12x16, and 12x18. I'm planning on using the 12x18 as the BD, the 12x14 as a FT, and put it with a 8x12 I also had. I guess I could use the 12x16 as a second FT...

The Chrome metal wrap was NOT usuable, so has already been removed. It came off very easy, unlike the Ludwig COW's I've had.

My plan is to rewrap, and I've thinking of using the new "Modern Bermuda Sand" (aka champagne sparkle) from Precision Drum Co.

Thinking of using new Gibraltar harware (FT legs & brackets; spurs), since it's not "true" to original sizes anyway (will leave the BD "virgin" and use a stand for the 8x12).

Will probably leave the BD with the smaller lugs. Can use either standard BD hoops, or could use Sticksaver hoops (like the original jet).

Opinions, comments, suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Bill

1 attachments
Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Bill,

The Slingy Jet I have does have a rail mount, probably added after the fact, but the later models did have a Set-o-matic as factory. I love the punch of my 18 inch bass drum, the 14" depth is quite magical for sound, and I'm sure with the 12" depth it will be a very nice.

I've often thought about having my recovered, but it's original wrap and though I don't care for the black wrap too much, I'll keep it as-is, for now.

With the Sticksaver hoops on the Jet, there was a factory bracket that was fabricated onto the hoop, might make it tough to get a bass pedal to stay on there. You might need to have a wood hoop on the batter side, unless you can fabricate some sort of adaptor.

Good Luck with the project. As far as your other drums go, do you do all the re-wraps yourself?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 12 years ago

From backbeatkeeper

Bill,The Slingy Jet I have does have a rail mount, probably added after the fact, but the later models did have a Set-o-matic as factory. I love the punch of my 18 inch bass drum, the 14" depth is quite magical for sound, and I'm sure with the 12" depth it will be a very nice.I've often thought about having my recovered, but it's original wrap and though I don't care for the black wrap too much, I'll keep it as-is, for now.With the Sticksaver hoops on the Jet, there was a factory bracket that was fabricated onto the hoop, might make it tough to get a bass pedal to stay on there. You might need to have a wood hoop on the batter side, unless you can fabricate some sort of adaptor.Good Luck with the project. As far as your other drums go, do you do all the re-wraps yourself?

Yes, I was aware of the factory bracket, but I've never actually seen one. And, I had thought about a standard hoop on the batter side with a sticksaver on the front -- you don't think that would look a little funny? I don't know...

And yes, I do my own recovering. With the new wrap, which IMO is much better than what was produced "back-in-the-day," the issue of expansion and contraction isn't nearly as big a deal. I said that to say I much prefer the "tape" method... not trying to stir up that discussion again, just stating MY opinion!

I also now cut my own pieces from full sheets rather than order pre-cut pieces. I'm careful to lay out the wrap on a counter covered with cardboard and make my marks on the back side -- then cut carefully with good scissors. This project will cost me less money to order 2 full sheets than it will to order pre-cut pieces (from either Precision or Jammin Sam) AND I'll have enough left over to do a snare drum and the 12x16 (IF I end up including it in the set)!

BTW -- the tape is available through Drummaker.com. It ain't cheap, but worth it...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

Let me know if you want a close-up of the bracket, I can make that happen.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 12 years ago

From memory,

You'll need the special Slingerland Pedal if you go the way of "Beatersaver" hoops & a Bracket.. (The pedal with a spring pin, instead of a Clamp)..

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 12 years ago

From backbeatkeeper

Let me know if you want a close-up of the bracket, I can make that happen.

I'm interested...

Thanks,

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

Iam excited to see you making a set out of those shells. They are perfect for what you are doing. Hope you can give us step by step pics. Can't wait to see

how they turn out. I think the bass would look cool with wood hoops and a drum riser. Give it a little more sence of depth as far as looks and sound better too.

Posted on 12 years ago

From vibes

Iam excited to see you making a set out of those shells. They are perfect for what you are doing. Hope you can give us step by step pics. Can't wait to seehow they turn out. I think the bass would look cool with wood hoops and a drum riser. Give it a little more sence of depth as far as looks and sound better too.

I intend to keep this thread updated (with pics). It may be slow processing while I'm still in the "planning" stage (deciding overall "direction") and then the "tracking down the parts" stage and then bringing it all together... but, I'm about as excited with this project as any I've done, so I guess you could say I'm motivated.

Thanks all for all of the positive input!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

Here are some pictures of a beautiful Jet outfit I had some years ago. Yes, I even had the 940M Snap-on Tempo King pedal. The original tongue was missing from the COB hoop. Through searching and luck... and way before eBay and general internet use... I stumbled upon a gentleman who provided me with complete mechanical drawing specs of how to make the fold-down tongue for the pedal. I only need to scan it and can supply it to anyone interested!

Posted on 12 years ago

From idrum4fun

Here are some pictures of a beautiful Jet outfit I had some years ago. Yes, I even had the 940M Snap-on Tempo King pedal. The original tongue was missing from the COB hoop. Through searching and luck... and way before eBay and general internet use... I stumbled upon a gentleman who provided me with complete mechanical drawing specs of how to make the fold-down tongue for the pedal. I only need to scan it and can supply it to anyone interested!

I would be interested in that scan. You can email it to: [email]whaselwood@cox.net[/email].

I'm leaning towards putting a regular wooden hoop on the back (at least -- maybe front, too) anyway. Slingerland had a "Cocktail Outfit" with a bass drum with wood hoop on batter side / Sticksaver on front during the same era, and since mine won't be quite right anyway (as a Jet) I don't mind "borrowing" from another Slingerland configuration...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here