Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Slingerland 3-point snare throw-off - Replacement?

1st time poster, long time drummer.

I have an old WFL 15" x 6.5" snare, fitted with a Slingerland 3-point throw-off.

It is bending a little and the range of motion is limited, as a result.

Are there any suitable replacment strainers that utilize the same 3 hole configuration? I would prefer a replica or original part in servicable condition.

A modern replacement would be a second choice.

Any assistance / insight would be appreciated.

BTT

Posted on 14 years ago

Are there no other holes? That Slingerland strainer wouldn't have been the original and to my somewhat limited knowledge, there weren't any Ludwig throwoffs with the same hole pattern.

Those Slingerland three-point strainers can be pricey and it would seem odd to me to shell out a lot of money for a non-original vintage strainer.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Billy Tom Tom

1st time poster, long time drummer.I have an old WFL 15" x 6.5" snare, fitted with a Slingerland 3-point throw-off. It is bending a little and the range of motion is limited, as a result.Are there any suitable replacment strainers that utilize the same 3 hole configuration? I would prefer a replica or original part in servicable condition.A modern replacement would be a second choice.Any assistance / insight would be appreciated.BTT

Billy Welcome to the VDF, could you post some pics of the drum and the throw off! man I hate to say this but with all the extra holes now in that awesome WFL snare drum of yours the 3 point slingerland throw off may be more valuable than the snare drum is money wise!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Sorry for the short notice -- the auction ends in a few hours -- but this might be a source for a cheap three-point strainer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160456031329

It's a 1960s Slingerland marching drum whose original Zoomatic was swapped out for a three-point strainer sometime over the years.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. Perhaps what I have is a Slingerland with a WFL badge?

I have uploaded a picture. Let me know what you think. 15" head X 6.5".

Thanks again,

BTT

P.S. Although a discussion of value is appreciated, I really have no intention of selling the drum. :-)

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

You've definitely got an odd combo of stuff going on there: 1950-58 Slingerland strainer, WFL badge, reproduction "stick chopper" style chrome rims... And with a 15" head -- cut down marching drum, maybe?

I'd want to see the inside of the drum before venturing a guess as to what it might be. Re-rings, bearing edges, shell plies, screws, any markings, etc. would be helpful to identify the drum. Pics of the tone control (muffler) if present would help, as would shots of the snare butt and close-ups of the badge & grommet.

Posted on 14 years ago

My guess is that its not a WFL at all as it seems that the badge is held on by a chrome grommet! Original grommets would have been brass. Also, WFL did NOT use tube lugs. My bet is it could be a Leedy drum that someone assembled with whatever parts they had lying around. A Leedy Broadway Standard strainer was also a three point mounting and was a similar pattern to the Slingerland that is fitted. Or, it could be an early slingerland drum that lost its badge and original hoops.

Anyway you look at it, there's something amiss there with that drum.

While you state that aren't going to sell it....I'll add this.....the only thing of real value on that drum IS the strainer as stated before. Hope you didn't pay too much for it!

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm fairly certain this is a slingerland professional,, is it a 6 1/2x14? the 3 point strainer and the tube lugs are correct, the badge and the rims are not correct!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks again for all the thoughts. I will post some picures of the interior and we may get a better feel for the origins of the drum. Again, it is a 15" x 6.5"

I bought it in 1977 in Phx, AZ from an older gentleman who had played in a local symphony. He was selling all of his percussion equipment. I paid $50.00.

It was mahogany and showed some wear. It had gut shares and all the assorted hardware you see today. I only changed the snares. It has maple re-inforcement hoops. It is extremely light for its size.

I had it refinished to match a set I bought in '87 and had all of the hardware redone. There actually is no grommet holding the badge on. It was removed for the paint job and I guess glued back on.

I am happy to be getting this input on a drum that I have loved for a long time.

4 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

The shell construction and the way the reinforcement hoops are glued up seem like early Ludwig & Ludwig, pre-Conn era, to me. The drum looks like its had another badge on it before as there appears to be two vent holes? And that is definitely not the original throw-off and butt. The butt looks like 50's Slingerland as well as the throw-off. There are extra holes that have been filled that look similar to one of Ludwig's early throw-offs from the 1920's.

You might actually have a 1920's Ludwig & Ludwig snare there, not a Slingerland, and it definitely is NOT a WFL.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here