Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Slingerland 1950-55 Radio King Restore HELP!

So the main question I have is if these drums are worth restoring, so I need some help. Long story short what we have here is (2) radio king 1950-55 13*9 Toms (1) 16*16 F tom and (1) 22*14 Bass. There are many holes in all of the drums and what happened "well what I think" is that someone had "remade" these into a 70's ludwig kit with the different hardware. What the plan was was to take the other tom and cut out holes to fit the holes missing in the other drums. Also for a rewrap I was thinking jamminsams vintage gold sparkle but I would like your thought on the most popular drum wraps. Any ideas would be much appreciated. So is it worth it?

Posted on 13 years ago

Here are some more pictures!

Posted on 13 years ago

This is the last of the pictures.

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

From Slingerland_Drummer

Here are some more pictures!

the last pic what is the big piece of wood for?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

Are they worth restoring? They'll never be worth as much as the sweat equity you'll have into them, but if your heart's into it and you're up to the challenge, they'd make a great player's kit.

Posted on 13 years ago

I agree and don't agree, the drums are no Not collectors grade any longer, but as as a players kit. this Screams for it, the time and sweat, will repay you with a love and knowledge you can only get from doing a restoration! from what I've seen so far most of this is very simple to mediocre stuff to repair, REALLY!! you'll just need to get some proper tools, and ask away here, we can tell you what to do.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

So how do you sugest I repair the baring edges most are in very bad shape? Also should I replace the inner layer of mahogany ply with a new layer, just take it all out and put a new layer in? Also what is the most popular color to rewrap the drums with in your opinion?

Thanks,

Posted on 13 years ago

Also do you think I should go with the bever tail lugs or the 60's version?

Posted on 13 years ago

From Slingerland_Drummer

So how do you sugest I repair the baring edges most are in very bad shape? Also should I replace the inner layer of mahogany ply with a new layer, just take it all out and put a new layer in? Also what is the most popular color to rewrap the drums with in your opinion? Thanks,

from the pics I've seen of the bearing edges the gouges and marks that are there, just use a wood filler and fine sand after it's dries and cures,,

Posted on 13 years ago

I'm usually a sucker for taking on "lost cause" projects like this just for the fun of working on them, but I'm not sure I'd tackle this one. The deciding factor for me would be the bass drum. That extra piece of wood that stretches from one re-ring to the other looks like the bracing that people would add years ago when they cut down a big bass drum into a smaller, more "modern" size. If the drum has been hacked up and re-sized, I might be inclined to pass. At the very least, I'd measure it really closely for roundness and check its rigidity.

The toms look salvageable, though!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here