Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Silver Sparkle Turned Gold

I recently picked up another 60's Slingerland set. When I saw the pics on CL I thought "a gold sparkle." When I got to the place to pick them up I realized these had been a silver sparkle! I noticed here on the VDF in the "Cleaning and Restoring" section it says this about yellowed WMP. "there is a technique used by experienced drum restorers that will take off some of the yellow and get them close to the original and looking much better then it originally did" Anyone know this technique? Any more thoughts on what to use on these? I wasn't sure pics were necessary for this.

Posted on 13 years ago

I don't believe the method for restoring wmp will work with a sparkle because if you wet sand too deep,you will remove the top layer and hit the actual sparkle pieces.

You might have a gold set.Pull a lug and you may see the original gold.Sometimes gold sparkle fades to a silver.They call it ginger ale-ing. If this is the case,I don't know how you could get the gold back.

Posted on 13 years ago

From Bobby Cee

I don't believe the method for restoring wmp will work with a sparkle because if you wet sand too deep,you will remove the top layer and hit the actual sparkle pieces.You might have a gold set.Pull a lug and you may see the original gold.Sometimes gold sparkle fades to a silver.They call it ginger ale-ing. If this is the case,I don't know how you could get the gold back.

No it is for sure Silver sparkle. I have all the hardware off already. The Floor tom is not as gold as the rest is the funny thing. You can see a lot more silver on the floor tom. Plus someone painted the insides of these black so my second question is. Is it worth stripping all the black paint from the insides? Does that black paint affect the sound?

Posted on 13 years ago

the ginger ale effect is called character, leave them alone, this happened alot to silver sparkle the wrap is cellulose based and that's how they aged, only way it to re wrap which you don't won't to do, if your reselling them,I'd just leave them alone and let the new owner decide what they want to do with the interior paint. if your keeping them and it bothers you go ahead and restore them, and no It doesn't affect the tone.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

From vintagemore2000

the ginger ale effect is called charter, leave them alone, this happened alot to silver sparkle the wrap is cellulose based and that's how they aged, only way it to re wrap which you don't won't to do, if your reselling them,I'd just leave them alone and let the new owner decide what they want to do with the interior paint. if your keeping them and it bothers you go ahead and restore them, and no It doesn't affect the tone.

As usual thank you sir! I think I will put them back together after polishing the hardware and play the heck out of them first and then sell them!

Do these 60's Slingerlands sound good? This is the 22" 16" 13" 12". I may try some coated heads on these. I always wanted to see how those heads sounded. Any recommendations for coated heads?

Posted on 13 years ago

From ec_curtis

As usual thank you sir! I think I will put them back together after polishing the hardware and play the heck out of them first and then sell them!Do these 60's Slingerlands sound good? This is the 22" 16" 13" 12". I may try some coated heads on these. I always wanted to see how those heads sounded. Any recommendations for coated heads?

Yes they are awesome sounding drums

Go with Remo ambassadors or Emperors, ambassadors are single ply, emperors are two ply.I love em both.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

I've never heard of silver sparkle fading to gold. I have a gold sparkle drum that faded to silver, and a red sparkle drum that faded to gold...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 13 years ago

I like Evans G1 coated on my Slingerlands, its all a matter of taste. Slingerlands have a lovely warm, round tone to them. Play them for a while, you will probably end up keeping them!

Posted on 13 years ago

If I put on coated tops what should I use for bottom res heads?

Posted on 13 years ago

From ec_curtis

If I put on coated tops what should I use for bottom res heads?

Clear bottoms if you want a brighter sound, coated bottoms if you want a mellower sound. From the player's position, you won't be able to tell *as much* as the audience...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here