Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Should I put something on my edges?

So, I have finally gotten around to working on my free '71-ish Ludwig School Festival. It desperately needed new bearing edges and snarebeds, and I'll be giving it a new finish as well (something clear, most likely).

My main question would be: do I put something on the edges? I can live with "naked" edges, but I'm not sure if they need some protection or something.

Thanks!

[More non-sense, no more questions:

I just finished the bottom edge, and hope to finish the top in the weekend, so I can finally try it out Monday. The aim is 30 degree with round over. The bottom has that now, and the top is already flattened out, so it only needs re-profiling. Should be possible in the weekend I think, even though I do everything by hand (and I will be spending one day working on a fence somewhere else).

You probably think I'm an idiot, doing it by hand on my first time, but I prefer to take it slow and be in full control. I don't feel like being in full control when attacking this shell with a power tool. At least not for such detailed jobs as a bearing edge or snarebed.

I decided to try it myself, instead of going to a pro, because I want to get more experience. I think starting out on a free shell isn't too bad. The bottom is done now, and I'm pretty happy with it. Can't stop running my finger over it :p. I guess it's not perfect somewhere, but I think it's relatively smooth for a first time, also considering it was done by hand completely (files and sandpaper). Also, I am quite critical to myself, so I wouldn't be saying I was happy if it was complete crap.

I could try to get a focussed picture and get all nervous about your inevitable judgement, I suppose...]

Posted on 13 years ago

Some people like to do a smooth-as-glass finish on their edges for aesthetics, I think. But really, who is going to see them (besides you), and what protection does a bearing edge really need when it's covered most of it's life with PET film?

Not only do I prefer to leave bearing edges au naturel, but I don't sand them glass-smooth either (down to 320-grit). By leaving some "tooth" on the edges, the drum holds it's tuning better, something I learned a long time ago from Joe Montineri. Makes sense too. PET film is slippery enough on it's own.

If you want the grain to "pop" more on the edges and make them look finished, then a single wipe-on coat of shellac will do the trick, and also seal the pores in the process, without making everything too slick.

JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 13 years ago

some folks over on ghostnote use a standard table candle and just rub it on the edge to seal them with the residual wax.

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks, jrfond!

I'll keep them bare, than. I think it looks great this way, although looks don't really matter to me if it's about the edges, which nobody will ever see.

I've "only" gone up to 150 grit so far, and I'll see how it works out. Can't wait to hear its sound. Soon...

Can't help but love this place ^^

Posted on 13 years ago

From Shawn M

some folks over on ghostnote use a standard table candle and just rub it on the edge to seal them with the residual wax.

Thanks. I might try that, or one of the many other methods people use, if I'm not happy with the results :). But I think I'll first try it bare. That's the easiest: I can always apply something if it's necessary. Taking it off would be more work.

Posted on 13 years ago

I use paraffin, many use bees wax. The idea is that it allows the head to "slide" over the edge making tuning easier. Probably some protection from moisture also.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 13 years ago

Not only does it help to lubricate the new plastic heads for tuning, it also acts as a barrier against water during wet head stretching for the calfskin heads of old.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

I would steer clear of using plain paraffin candle wax. It is basically a very large hydrocarbon chain (alkane) and can be sticky due to it's low melting point. It has a high friction value in candle form ... which is counterproductive for use on bearing edges. It causes the drum head to actually stick or adhere to the edge in places, muting the drum.

A more appropriate choice would be beeswax or another natural wax. Beeswax is made of Oleate esters and long chain alcohols, which give it a much higher melting point and a very low friction value. Think fatty acids ... sort of.

The vast majority of drummers are not well versed in Chemistry, which is why the candle wax method has survived for all these years.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

Aside from the purpose of acting as a moisture barrier in the case of forming a collar on a freshly-tucked calf head, there is really no PRACTICAL reason to add any lubricant/sealant to the bearing edges at all. PET film is slick stuff. Practically nothing sticks to it, which makes the science of coating development more of a black art.

Again, how much moisture is going to encroach the bearing edge area with a waterproof head mounted on it, and a single half-inch vent hole drilled in the side?

I like drums to HOLD the tuning, and for the heads to maintain very intimate contact with the bearing edges. Actual binding of a synthetic head at the bearing edge has never been an issue that I've ever come across. It's not like guitar strings which can hang up in the nut slot or on a bridge saddle and not return to pitch.

JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 13 years ago

i use butcher block paste wax it works well and is good for the wood it comes in satin and is great for inside of clear drums

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here