Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Shipping tips

I'm possibly looking at acquiring a large size kit when I am in LA shortly on business (I'm at the feasability study stage right now).

The advantage is I can see the thing up close before I buy, pack it myself and make sure all the paperwork is done properly. The down-side is I have no idea what I'm doing and know nothing of restrictions, pricing or anything else - am just quickly bashing around some sites now to bring myself up to speed. So if anyone has experience shipping from the U.S. to Europe (I'm in Sweden), can give me a crash course and maybe tell me a cautionary tale or two then please drop me a line.

The most contentious item is probably a 18" x 24" - can USPS handle something this big? Will the other shipping companies crucify me? WHo's the most reliable. We're talking, one bass drum, two floor toms and a rack tom and almost no hardware. Not quite Bonham sizes but close.

And equally am looking at shipping something from France as well. Any input there would be appreciated too.

Cheers,

David

Posted on 17 years ago

My input is to buy insurance with UPS. The drums might not be worth a lot, but if something does happen, you should get your money back.

With USPS you will get up to $650 insurance coverage

As you pack, try and use the smallest boxes possible while maintaining ample distance for packing materials.

Since the 24" drum will be oversized, you will pay extra based on dimensional weight and not actual weight.

My guess is $100 - $125 for shipping one oversize box to Sweden

David

USPS Large Package

Use “Large Package” when the length plus girth (the distance around the thickest part) of a package is more than 84 inches but not more than 130 inches. Also use Large Package for packages more than 1 cubic foot.

If you are unsure of your package category, select “Large Package” on the first page of the rate calculator. You will be prompted to enter your package dimensions and the correct rate will be calculated.

[IMG]http://ircalc.usps.gov/images/15_package.gif[/IMG]

UPS Guidelines

Weight and Size Limits for Packages

UPS has established specific weight and size limits for the packages that you send with all UPS services. The restrictions below only pertain to individual packages. There are no limits to the total weight of your shipment or the total number of packages in your shipment.

[LIST]

[*]Packages can be up to 150 lbs (70 kg)

[*]Packages can be up to 165 inches (419 cm) in length and girth combined

[*]Packages can be up to 108 inches (270 cm) in length

[*]Packages that weigh more than 70 lbs (31.5 kg, 25 kg within the EU) require a special heavy-package label and will be subject to an Additional Handling Charge

[*]Packages with a large size-to-weight ratio require special pricing and dimensional weight calculations[/LIST]Note: Packages that exceed UPS weight and size limits are subject to an Over Maximum Limits charge.

The limits listed above apply to most packages and destinations, but there are some variances because of different local restrictions in some countries. Please contact UPS for more details.

Posted on 17 years ago

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"]I have to chime in on this one and agree wholeheartedly with insurance!! My younger brother works for UPS a major hub as a sorter/loader, and let me tell you...the stories of how they handle packages makes me never want to ship anything again! EVER!! Eye Ball

I also have relatives at DHL and FedEx....same story!! Reality is that you need to expect your boxes to be ABUSED! Kicked, hurled, dropped from overhead heights... anything you can think of! I ship a lot and insurance (over estimate!!!) helps with the nightmares...at least half of them (well maybe 1/8 of them.)[/SIZE][/FONT]

DAVID
DETROIT ROCK CITY
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks to both of you. This helps immensely and has got me over at least the feasability bit. Now just a question of if I'm prepared to cough up the money.

cheers,

David

Posted on 17 years ago

One last question - if I do get these babies, is there a chain that sells ready made boxes or the cardboard I need to construct these myself. I'm sure there are dozen of them, I've just no idea what these chains are called. Or am I better off hitting a drum shop and buying or asking for old boxes?

And how long does a USPS or UPS package to take to get to Europe presuming I'm using the cheapest rate (there probably is only one but I'll use the cheapest if there isn't).

Cheers,

David

Posted on 17 years ago

If you're buying them new ask the dealer to give you the boxes they came in or order them from the factory and have them shipped.

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 17 years ago

The sizes would probably not be a standard box in some places, you can check with drum shops in the area and they might be able to help.

Otherwise you can check with Staples and or any office supply company in the area.

Yep, usually the cheapest way with the USPS is 4-6 weeks for delivery.

UPS will of course take less time.

If you can pinpoint a state, maybe someone here can help you in this project

David

Posted on 17 years ago

DO NOT SHIP AN OVERSIZED PACKAGE USPS!!!

I took a 14x20 bass drum to the PO and they wanted $127 to ship. I took it to FedEx and ground service coast $39.99. The PO saves you money on small packages but abuses you on oversized.

Obviously nest the drums if you can. Camco mufflers are not a snap to remove. This prevented me from nesting the toms when I shipped my kit home from Chicago. I did put the the floor tom in the bass drum though.

If it was me, I would go to a UPS or Fedex store, both of which you can preselect the most convenient location for you using the store locator function on their web pages. If you can buy the boxes from a moving supply company rather than at the stores, you should save some money. A 24x24 high burst threshold box cost me 22 f-ing dollars at the UPS store. They will wrap the the shells with bubble wrap and fill the spaces up with peanuts while you fill out the paper work. It cost me $185 to ship a small four piece and a pre-boxed additional drum. This amounted to three boxes shipped, two boxes purchased, full value insurance and the packing service. The $22 box ended up breaking anyhow because it was so much bigger than the 14x20.

Hope that helps. Good luck. You might consider shipping the bass drum in two boxes.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

Gary, Thanks for the tip on the internal mufflers - that had escaped my attention (though I am adept at removing them).

And if this goes down, it will be in LA. Thanks for the many tips there.

Posted on 17 years ago

hey david i just shipped a 10 ,12,14 ,22 dw kit across canada instead of putting them in a box that that you know the shipping guys won't handle easily i went out and and bought a gator hard case 22" - 85.00 and gives the guys handles to move it only had to remove the mounts this is not much more than buying boxes and packing material i have shipped drums all over and cadboard is 50/50 if its akit that is not replaceable i think the extra is worth it steve

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here