Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Shining up Cymbals....?

Dear wise guys.

What would - or woulden´t - You do to clean up old dirty Cymbals?

I just found some early `70 Paiste cymbals wich are - mildly spoken - very dirty.

How would You suggest That I clean them up?

- Hope it´s OK to use this forum, when it´s after all is a restorring questian.

- Yours Carsten M

Posted on 16 years ago

I'd leave them the way they are. I kind of feel that dirt and use add character to the cymbal and maybe a change in sound. I have cleaned cymbals before and it seems that it's too much work to keep them up, but as I said my opinion. Also if you ever plan on selling them, some collectors actually prefer them uncleaned. And then there is the final story of drummers back in the early days used to bury there cymbals in dirt to age and get more character.

For what it's worth,

Backbeatkeeper

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

I like mine clean. I use "Groove Juice" a non abrasive liquid...just spray it on and rinse it off.

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 16 years ago

From musicbybj

I like mine clean. I use "Groove Juice" a non abrasive liquid...just spray it on and rinse it off.Jack:)

Groove juice is the best...spray on and hose off,,, zip zip, it is done

Posted on 16 years ago

Thank´s guys, I´ll go for the Groove Juice (fancy name), hope I can find it over here in DK...:-)

- How about those cymbal cleaning products from Paiste, Zildjan, Sabian and others; are they worth a try?

Posted on 16 years ago

Most of them are abrasive!

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 16 years ago

does the groove juice make them shine or just clean them? I like my cymbals to shine.

Posted on 16 years ago

Groove Juice is very harsh and will probably remove logo's. It does clean them but doesn't give them a shine. If you really want that mirror shine or want to bring an old cymbal back use some ***lers rouge and a Dremmel tool with a felt buffing wheel. It takes time and you will go through a ton of buffing felts but it really works.

Posted on 16 years ago

Paiste are treated to clean nicely...if U do it

regularly. Trick Drum and Hardware cleaner

works well for sweat and blood.

Otherwise, while slightly abrasive ( shake well )

their house brand works great. Like washing dishes.

Groove Juice is ok but indeed, removes logos and

leaves a dull finish. On really old and dirty it just spots

and IMHO is a first step.

If you are bent on reflecting light, a can of Buckaroo

is the ticket. Nothing new here, it takes hours and a stack

of rags. Get crazy on the pressure and you will

remove metal.

That's a Death Cab for collector's.

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 16 years ago

over polishing and buffing will change the sound of your cymbal....be careful that you don't end up with a shiney cymbal that no longer sounds like the one you bought...........

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here