Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Score! '78 Slingerlands - All Original

Found these on Craigslist with a Google search on Thursday, finally got the call back on Saturday. Several people responded to his ad, but he called me first. Probably because I e-mailed him several times from both home and work. He was just asking $350, so I figured there must be something wrong, but no. He must just really need the cash, doesn't know what they are really worth, or both. Regardless, I got a smoking deal, even after the $70 in gas and 9 hour roundtrip drive to pick them up.

All of the original heads, hardware, dampers, Zildjian A cymbal set, and even an unmodified front logo head with felt damper strip. The wood is gorgeous, bearing edges are perfect, cymbals are straight, and the blackchrome wrap is pretty good except for a little snare/tom rash. I took a few pictures of them just the way I got them yesterday. I'll be taking them apart for a good cleaning soon, I haven't decided on heads yet, but I'll be putting the old ones away in a safe place for sure.

I still can't believe they are mine. This may be the best deal I've ever got on anything. These are keepers for sure! Even the color is growing on me. I wanted a silver or gold sparkle, but man, these do look pretty.

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3210/2623567226_19b2d791da.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/2623569126_faf2000153.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2622744725_bf6399d313.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3209/2622746207_a37f5c0b93.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/2623567592_9298c26efb.jpg[/IMG]

Slingerland Zildjian Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

Lovely Kit.

Are these 12, 13, 16, 22?

I have the same year bought right off

the floor in '82 at Faust in MKE.

For $750.00.

As the years go by, nothing new comes

close in sound, durability and just plain

cool.

Thousands of gigs and sessions later I'm

still asked "where did you get those

drums..."

PLAY 'EM.

Walking

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 16 years ago

Those are great looking drums, man!!! You don't see this black chrome color very much on E-Bay, either. I will be buying a 1965-1966 Champaigne

sparkle set from my dad soon. The set's sizes are: 22/13/20(floor tom) as

well as the original champ. sprk. snare. My dad bought them from the original

owner's wife after he died. Can't wait to get them home and cleaqn them up!

I have to locate a 20" 8-hole bottom rim for the floor tom, to make the set

complete. I even have a 60's hi-hat stand and S-land Bass drum pedal.

The church I play for had a early 70's 4-pc. PURPLE SPARKLE set that I

have restored. Same sizes as Donn Bennett has for sale currently on E-bay, except they do no have bottom rims or lugs, but do have re-rings. Turns

out, this color seems to be pretty rare. I was able to convince the church to purchase soft drim bags to protect them Humes and Berg Galaxy series.

Enjoy your "find" For that price, I would have driven all those miles, too!!

Even though the wife wouldn't understand!

Posted on 16 years ago

Yes, 22-16-13-12 w/5x14 COB snare.

These were from the original owner as well. His parents bought them for him when he was in high school. They have been in storage for years.

Now, if I can just keep my eye open for a matching 18" floor tom.............

Posted on 16 years ago

WOW!! Fantastic kit! What a deal! The drum gods were with you!!!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Started in on the snare, didn't notice 'til today the knob on the Zoomatic is missing. Apparently, that is a common problem. The shell has some dents under the strainer and butt, but I can get those out using the dowel and hammer method.

Posted on 16 years ago

WOW you lucky bastard!!!!! I look for deals like that contantly, found a couple of good ones but never a deal like that. I love the finish, never seen that one before. Congrats my friend!!

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks!

I'm starting to find a few surprises, but nothing too bad. The Zoomatic knob on the snare, as I mentioned before, as well as some pretty bad dents around and under the hardware on the snare shell, but I was able to fix those fairly well using the dowel and hammer method. Also, the bass pedal has had a rather crude strap replacement, as well as missing the screw and washer for the spring mount. I'm reassembling the snare right now, after a thorough cleaning, with new Ambassador heads.

I called Jim Petty about the Zoomatic problem, but $125 is just to steep for me right now, plus I was able to find an old three ear plastic knob at work that pressed right onto the shaft, it seems to work just fine, and although not historically correct, really doesn't look too bad.

Too bad the wife is asleep, I'd give it a good tuning, but it's gonna have to wait til morning now.

Posted on 16 years ago

I am in the process of banging out a bunch of dents in my sound king as well. I am using the dowel and hammer method and it works quite well ( Thanks Jim) For the money you paid you should be praying thanks to the drum gods for what you got. Pics when finished would be great!!

Posted on 16 years ago

I should be able to post a few of the snare this afternoon.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here