Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Rogers Red Onyx Londoner Resto

Decided to start a new thread on this one. Considering all the down time due to surgery, it just made sense. For those curious, here's the original thread.

So, ...

Finally got a tom put together. It's a 13 incher. This has been a LONG wait. I will make progress at a faster clip than previously demonstrated.

The chrome on the lugs is a bit pitted and the wrap has some rash, but it turned out fairly nice. I went with new hoops. Long story on where the originals went. Don't wish to cover that here. Anyway, I picked up some new hoops and made do.

All of the screws and washers and such got the vinegar soak. They cleaned up very nicely.

I went with clear Remo Emp on batter and clear Aquarian Super 2 on reso. Nice sound. Has a more modern sound ... that I'm not totally agreeable with. Tried the coated heads ... still don't like it. No matter what heads I put on the drum, it comes out speaking "Modern". I will most likely sell or trade this kit.

Strange, isn't it. Everyone has "THAT" sound in their heads and hearts that speaks to them. I tried Gretsch - didn't like 'em at all. I have now tried Rogers (albeit in a limited capacity) - too modern sounding.

Oh well ...

go figure........

Posted on 14 years ago

I spent all day swapping heads on this stupid 13 inch drum.

I think I finally found a pairing that I like. I put a coated batter with a clear reso. The 13 wanted an Emp coated ... not any of the others I have. As far as reso ... several worked.

ok ... well ... I will admit ... they sound kinda good. I am actually starting to like the sounds.

Got the next drum completed. It's a bit smaller than the last. This one measures out at 12 inches.

It cleaned up real nice. I like the looks of the drums.

Went with a thinner pairing this time. Popped on a G1 coated for the batter and a Evans Reso for the (what else?) reso side.

The smaller tom likes a more alive head. I may have to try this paring on the 13. Who knows?......

I've got the 16 on the bench next. I'm still working on the hardware for that one. It will be a bit.

Posted on 14 years ago

Looking good Clapping Happy2

Give Evan's a shot, I love my EC2's once they were tuned up I fell in love.

Reso side I run some old clear weatherking ambassador's that i've had for years now. But I know every drum is different so it's trial and error. Don't give up on that sweet set of roger's yet Sumo Dude best of luck!!! -kev-

Posted on 14 years ago

Man those look sooo nice!

Posted on 14 years ago

Well, I entered the drum room after sitting on the sidelines again. Not sure why this particular kit is taking me so long ... and why the restoration work seems to coincide with medical work.....

I had a very good friend come over and lend two hands so I could get the floor tom up and running.

I had most of the work completed so we didn't have much to do. We mounted the hardware and heads and such. It turned out rather nice. I had to get the wife to place it on the storage shelf. It is looking good next to those two toms.

So, I've completed the COB snare, the 12 and 13 toms, and now the 16 floor. All that remains is the 20 bass. That one will take a while due to the healing time of this arm. Man, this kit is taking forever! It better be worth it. My wife has fallen in love with this one. That's why I'm still plugging away at it. Dang, tough one.

Posted on 14 years ago

Those are looking really nice. I know how you feel about the arm. All of a sudden, my right wrist has begun to hurt. At first it was a dull ache, then it got a little more sensitive. This morning, it hurt so bad it woke me.Hmmmm Now, I haven't had any trauma to it, and it is getting worse. I have had it xrayed twice, and neither time were they able to find any fractures. So, off I go...and I have a kit due as well....no cleaning hardware because I can't grip any of my tools properly. Man, this is not a good thing....

Anyway, those are serioulsy cool..and the mojo seems to be working on them, hope it is working on you as well!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Back at it ... again. I finally don't feel pain when I polish or use a screwdriver. Yeah!

Took the bass apart and cleaned up the shell. Couldn't find any fade. That's outstanding. There were some battle-scars here and there, but none that would be all that noticeable. Had to clean the thing three times in order to remove all the smucky gunk. The inside was DIRTY!!! Got that thing clean enough to allow one of you to eat off it (no way I'm doing that!). Followed this up with a round of deep polishing (three coats) and some mild buffing (fully clothed).

I set it next to the 12 inch tom to do a fine finish match. Looks real nice.

Next - the hardware! Man oh man ... this stuff is icky. Soaking the screws and washers overnight in my "special super secret solution" (apple cider vinegar bath). The lugs and stuff are really slunky. It's gonna take some work to bring these back.

Posted on 13 years ago

Got some hardware cleaned up.

The first pic shows the condition of this stuff. One (lower) is how I got it. The other (top) is after cleaning it. Man oh man ... took some work.

The other pics are some shots of the lugs and odd pieces. They turned out pretty good. This kit is going to look sweet when I finally get it completed ... but that's some serious hours away.

Back at it.

Posted on 13 years ago

Ok. I'm very close to completing this kit. I'm short a bit of mounting hardware. I believe I'm in need of some washers and a few chrome screws and a couple of bolts. That's it. I have accounted for pretty much everything else as far as the drums go.

I'm at a standstill with the bass until I get my hands on those parts. I can't mount the spurs without them.

The bass cleaned up nicely. It was in BAD shape when I got it. I did the best I could with the wrap and rings and such. It's not a museum piece but I would guess that it's going to look and sound quite nice once set up.

There are a few spots that I managed to make disappear, but a few remain. There are a couple of small cracks, but nothing major at all. Just a little bit of aging. The fade on these is nil. It astounds me that my blue agate Slingy kit and this red onyx Rogers kit have no fade after all these years. They are both 67/68 kits. Amazing.

So, I'm putting out the word. If any of you have the washers/bolts/screws I need, please let me know so I can get this one completed. I sincerely appreciate it.

Posted on 13 years ago

I would think you could find the right sized carriage bolts and washers at a good hardware store and carry on. Looks nice so far.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here