Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Rogers Paper Labels & Brillo Pads?

HA! JUST KIDDING Eye Ball -

Any tips on cleaning & preserving the inside paper label on a Cleveland OH Rogers Marching Bass drum?

I don't wanna unglue it or lose any ink. Any way to clear coat it to preserve it - NOT with clear spray paint !!! Something gentle? Help2 What do you gurus do?

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

mask it off 1/8 inch outside of the label and use a water based seal coat

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Jeez...your thread title is reprehensible ! ;)

You can also go buy some of that transparent stick-on paper/film (used for computer printers and copy machines, and just put it on there and burnish with a blunt edge...but the label really needs to be flat, no rippling.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks Cats!

Regarding water-based seal coat, any brand to recommend? My online searching seemed to only lead me to stuff for driveways - surely that's not what you mean BackBeatKeeper - Sounds like a good idea though - sort of what I was thinking.

SORRY JAYE for the scary title - Just an attention getter electricit - I shoulda said BLEACH ;)

I did some web searching, as well as VDF, and found no mention of drum label preservation - so I thought I'd rattle some interest.

Is a transparent sticky film considered OK for such a thing? It'd certainly & simply do the trick - Is it a tried & true technique by vintage Rogers drum-o-philes (and other paper label folk)?

My label is on quite nicely - a good stick at the factory. I haven't cleaned it at all yet - maybe a lightly damp cloth? Or just leave the funk of history intact - it's probably been accumulating for 40 years.

Posted on 15 years ago

I have used Minwax products before, there 2 part wood filler is some of the best stuff out there, pricey, but good.

Try these for size: http://www.minwax.com/products/water_based_clear_protective_finishes/

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Well, they DO withstand the test of time, so....maybe leave as-is ? I dunno if a Rogers buff would get apoplexy about a coated label or not....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I kinda liked the Minwax idea, but wondered about possible discoloration.

Me thinks I have a solution inspired by all of the above - sort of a "picture frame" approach using a nice piece of acetate, a bit bigger than the tag :

http://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-clear-acetate-sheets/?wmcp=cj&wmcid=feeds&wmckw=55501-1101-1602&AID=10495307&PID=1609763&SID=tfc_-_11_1_090423_f357cbab71c6eed3e824950d682b6000

Then I can seal it off with duct tape around the edges.

You know I'm kidding, right?Mister T

Perhaps just some careful use of double-sided tape around the acetate perimeter - or maybe thin strips of clear packing tape.

That would work like the sticky film - but without the stickyYes Sir

And there it is ~ A classic Rogers tag, suitable for framing Walking

Posted on 15 years ago

I do not mess with my paper tags.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]From the mouth of a true collector.

So, I dunno...maybe it would put off the value if you messed w/ it....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I guess, in a fashion, that's at the crux of wanting to cover it in clear plastic (without touching it) - so that it's not messed with - mainly just a dust cover to keep the dirt & the buggies out. I have a Ludwig tag that the glue dried out and it fell right off.

- I guess I'm just being paranoid maybe....

I'd like to avoid any mishaps while working on the drum, too, it has a long way to go. Aside from the Ludwig mentioned above, the Rogers bass is the only other drum I have with a label - none on my Slingerlands, Champions or other Ludwigs do. - I think they're such cool labels - a bit of a work of art - a historical document. Group Hug

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here