Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Rogers Cleveland Tone Control Question

I know this has been discussed here before, but I can't find where...

What thread size does the adjustment knob have on a Cleveland muffler? I'm missing the specialized shaped nut that fits into the muffler arm, so I thought I could substitue a standard barrel nut from Lowes or Home Depot and just grind it down to fit into the arm slot, but I haven't found anything that fits the thread (see pic below). It's neither a 10-24 nor a 10-32, so I figured maybe metric? Nope. It's gotta be something out of the ordinary. Anyone know? Did this thread size change through the Dayton or Fullerton periods? Appreciate any help.

[Attachment: 79401]

Mike

1 attachments
-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 9 years ago

Uniform sizes stair stepped 10-24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 48 and 56. I know that doesn't answer your question. But I don't exactly know. And I believe it did change later.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks, Ploughman. I thought there must be tighter thread pitches in size 10 bolts, but local hardware stores only stock 10-24 and 10-32 nuts. I bet it's 10-36. Maybe I'll special order both a 10-36 and a 10-40 just to be sure. Appreciate your help.

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago

Mike if you have trouble finding something let me know. That fastener place I frequent moved recently and is closer to me now. They moved from Derby to Milford. I can see if they are open this Friday and make a run. I have both white felt and black felt mufflers. I've had the white felt one apart completely. But the black one has never been removed. The end threads on the black one are distorted and think this was a factory thing no? They need a die run over them or the end nut would just strip when removed. So I can only use the white pad knob as a test dummy. The threads on both do look the same. And a 10-24 nut did not fit it like yours. Can grab a few styles of nut and mail them to you. Or the website is https://www.nutty.com/

You can buy online with them as well. But we still need to know what the correct thread size is. You can look at what they have and see what might work the best. I thought a castle/split nut as you can zip some of the nubs off. Sort of replicates the original part too. The smallest I saw online was 1/4". So....:) more digging is needed. I know they have old odd lot stuff not online. Happy to help if you need a hand.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

Peening the end of the shaft was done in Cleveland/Dayton. You have to file it out.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 9 years ago

From The Ploughman

Peening the end of the shaft was done in Cleveland/Dayton. You have to file it out.

Very good to know thanks Jack.

Glenn.

Posted on 9 years ago

From mchair303

I know this has been discussed here before, but I can't find where...What thread size does the adjustment knob have on a Cleveland muffler? I'm missing the specialized shaped nut that fits into the muffler arm, so I thought I could substitue a standard barrel nut from Lowes or Home Depot and just grind it down to fit into the arm slot, but I haven't found anything that fits the thread (see pic below). It's neither a 10-24 nor a 10-32, so I figured maybe metric? Nope. It's gotta be something out of the ordinary. Anyone know? Did this thread size change through the Dayton or Fullerton periods? Appreciate any help. [Attachment: 79401]Mike

Mike,

Think I have an extra bolt (as circled in the main pic)..

I'll confirm tomorrow..

Kelly

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks guys for all your input and opinions on this tiny subject.

Glenn: Let me know if you ever decipher the exact size of this thread. Even if Kelly (Rims) locates a spare for me, I still want to mount a nylon locking nut at the end of the shaft like the later white Fullerton mufflers have.

Keep me informed.

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago

I will Mike. I'll go there Friday if they are open. *****eidt to add****** I just called and they are open friday 8-5. So I'll head up there. Hey Mike do you have a pic of what that end locknut looks like? I want one too for mine so I'll grab a few. If Kelly does not have that original nut let me know the type of nut you'd like to modify please. I can grab them for you and mail them with the locknuts. And most important we'll now know the thread size! :)

Glenn.

Posted on 9 years ago

That is an American thread, but I forget the size. I have a tap and die in that size at home for chasing the threads. I'm traveling now so I can't check in my toolbox. The size is the same for all years, and the shaft on the throwoffs is the same size.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here