Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Rewrapping Ludwig 3pc set

Hello,

For my Beatles cover band I use the supplied Ludwig kit in the rehearsal room. It consists of two Ludwig Rocker toms (rack and floor tom) and an elderly Ludwig bass drum: 22/13/16. In order to match the look with the typical Ringo's kit, I plan to rewrap these shells with Delmar's 'Black Oyster' wrap.

I've done a lot of restoring hardware parts etc., but I have no experience with rewrapping besides only one smaller tom shell in 10".

My questions:

Did Ludwig glue the wrap all over the shell?

If yes: does it mean to do a lot of work with stripping and sanding the shell (due to taking off the hardened previous glue, too)?

Would it be sufficient to just fix the new wrap with a wide strip of self adhesive foil at the overlapping parts? Any negative effects to the sound if I do so (as e.g. damper effect to the sustain)?

Or shall I fix the wrap overall by putting new glue on the complete foil and shell = on both sides?

I'd also like to take the rail consolette off and replace it with a single tom holder and bracket - matching (if possible) with the tom holder bracket of the Rocker rack tom. I prefer to have the rack tom more to the right/ center and closer to the floor tom. Any recommendations (genuine Ludwig/ or any replacement made by others)?

Attached please find the kit in pictures.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly. Thank you.

Cheers, Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 7 years ago

From Ralf

My questions:Did Ludwig glue the wrap all over the shell? [COLOR="Blue"]Yes on Ludwig Classics, however, the wrapped Rocker snares I've had only had double-sided tape at the ends of the wrap.[/COLOR]If yes: does it mean to do a lot of work with stripping and sanding the shell (due to taking off the hardened previous glue, too)?[COLOR="blue"]Yes, I'd use a hair dryer to soften the glue. I've used a citrus-based adhesive remover sprayed on the glue as well. It can be scrubbed off, but takes a long time and a lot of work. Friction is required to roll the glue off.[/COLOR]Would it be sufficient to just fix the new wrap with a wide strip of self adhesive foil at the overlapping parts? [COLOR="blue"]Yes, but the wrap may eventually lift and require re-gluing. [/COLOR]Any negative effects to the sound if I do so (as e.g. damper effect to the sustain)?[COLOR="blue"] There isn't much of a distinguishable difference between 'tape vs all glue' to my ears.[/COLOR]Or shall I fix the wrap overall by putting new glue on the complete foil and shell = on both sides? [COLOR="blue"]Long term, that is the best option unless you plan to re-wrap the drums later. [/COLOR]

Here's a good YT video on how to wrap a kit:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwQ_1v_AAuk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwQ_1v_AAuk[/ame]

Posted on 7 years ago

If you really want the Beatles look, you should keep the rail consollette. I would wrap with the adhesive strip method. Some people say it affects the sound but I don't know anyone with so sensitive ears that they can hear the difference.

Here are some handy instructions for both methods: http://walopus.com/how-to-install

http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Posted on 7 years ago

If you want the original Beatles look the tom is on a consollette as Magnus mentions and on the left side by the hi-hat. However, after the Ed Sullivan show, when they started to tour, he had 3 or 4 kits (sorry memory lapse) but in any event, the crew actually removed the consollette and put on a Rogers mount. If you look at this web site there is a lot of info: https://www.ringosbeatlekits.com/home.html

I am in the process of restoring a late 60's OBP kit to match Ringo's tour kit.

Good luck and share some pictures when your done.

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

Hi there,

Great answers all, so far - thank you very much indeed.

The adhesive strip method is impressive easy and would become my fav.

Does Walopus have a similar to BOP/ OBP foil? As I could see on their website,

it looks like Licorice Streak Pearl Drum Wrap is matching the most?

Any other proposals/ alternative producers that offer self adhesive foil (that

doesn't look cheap - and also not like the 'Bowling Ball' finish ...).

Looks as if I should let the RC as is ... CryBaby

Cheers, Ralf

Posted on 7 years ago

Ralf

Almost forgot. If your looking for the Ringo kit replica look, one of our members Daddynowhere sells bass drum logos. I picked up one of the drop T Beatles logo kits from him for mine. It looks fantastic. You can reach out to him through this forum or through his eBay account name Barrhavendrumguy. Or search Beatles Bass drum logo on eBay and you will find him. I have bought several drum logos from him and they are the highest quality. It's always nice to keep purchase in the VDF family

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

From Ralf

Hi there,Great answers all, so far - thank you very much indeed.The adhesive strip method is impressive easy and would become my fav.Does Walopus have a similar to BOP/ OBP foil? As I could see on their website,it looks like Licorice Streak Pearl Drum Wrap is matching the most?Any other proposals/ alternative producers that offer self adhesive foil (thatdoesn't look cheap - and also not like the 'Bowling Ball' finish ...).Looks as if I should let the RC as is ... CryBabyCheers, Ralf

Walopus does indeed have a Black Oyster like Ringo's:

http://walopus.com/product/walopus-garden-black-oyster-drum-wrap

http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Posted on 7 years ago

Why would you go through the time and effort to remove and rewrap perfectly nice drums ? I would sell those and find what you want, either new or used. Or find a set that the wrap is in bad shape, and rewrap them. Just my 2cents.

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello,

Thanks again for your additional information.

Bass drum logo replica: we already do have our own band name (Beatles Beat Band) on one bass drum head.

Walopus Black Oyster: in the meantime I was in contact with the German ST Drums and they will send me samples of their available Delmar Black Oysters (60's and 70's look replicas).

Wrapping of theses shells: over here in Germany you can't by a genuine 60/70's Ludwig 3 pc-kit below EUR 1500 - 1800. Even for kits in bad condition, due to the name 'Ludwig' on it, they want EUR 800++. Ridiculous prices. A new Ludwig is also no alternative, as the drums shall be somehow original (as the other band members do still have original equipment). So re-wrapping is the cheapest version for me. We do not intend starting to make big business with playing Beatles in our advanced age. ;-)

Cheers, Ralf

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello,

Today I ended up with the wrapping of the Ludwig drums. I've taken Delmar' Black Oyster, the 60's version.

To save time, I added the wrap over the sparkling glitter, which ended up well. The heads still fit onto the drum shells without major pressure on the diameter: there's still some space in between. Only the bass drum, which is an elderly version, is a little bit tighter under the heads, but still working.

I've taken just one small double adhesive foil strip at both ends to fix the new wrap over the old one.

As we play Beatles, I wasn't afraid that the sound would become too muffled. Ringo's kit also didn't 'sing' too much - didn't it?

Thanks again for all your input which was a great help in finding my decisions!

Cheers, Ralf

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here