Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Restoring Slingerland duco paint

Hi all!

I have a Slingerland Deluxe Student snare drum in duco paint, from around 1973-74. The interior of the shell is in excellent condition but the paint is flaking a lot. So what would be your choice?

a) Would you try to fix the Duco paint? How would you do this?

b) Would you rewrap it?

I'll send a few pictures as soon as I can...

Posted on 4 years ago

So, here are a few pictures to give you an idea. I like the "worn" look, but the paint will not hold a gig....

Posted on 4 years ago

As a side note.... How can I know if the snare wires are original?

Posted on 4 years ago

From martin281

Hi all!I have a Slingerland Deluxe Student snare drum in duco paint, from around 1973-74. The interior of the shell is in excellent condition but the paint is flaking a lot. So what would be your choice? a) Would you try to fix the Duco paint? How would you do this?b) Would you rewrap it?I'll send a few pictures as soon as I can...

a) Strip old finish and repaint.

b) Wrapping is possible but be aware the added thickness of the wrap may cause head fitment issues.

Posted on 4 years ago

I had the same issue with an old Leedy where the Duco paint was in a poor condition. I opted to strip it off and repaint. You can see the results below and make your own judgement. It's not a 100% colour match but it was my first attempt. I made a turntable out of an bike wheel and turned the drum with a motor while spraying. You need to maintain a consitent speed. My advice is to have a go and be prepared to sand it back and re-do it if necessary.

2 attachments
"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 4 years ago

It sure looks as if you devised a great method from here Gerard. Nice restoration and a beautiful drum.

Looks like one to try Martin281.

Posted on 4 years ago

PS - is the undercoat the gold with the black as the overspray, or visa versa?

Posted on 4 years ago

Hi. The gold went on first and then the black. It’s much easier to manage the overspray on one edge rather than two at the same time. I struggled with the lacquer coat and may have another go with a proper airless sprayer. Thanks for the kind comments.

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 4 years ago

These are all amazing insights! Thanks! The DIY Duco techniques is something I will try in a near futur, for sure...

I finally chose to keep the paint as is and just add a few coats of lacquer (+wet sand). I fixed the interior shell with some glue in the spots where the reinforcement rings were starting to come loose. Now it sings again!

I'm happy with the result! Next time, I'll try to repaint it in duco, but I'll have to practice on a cheaper shell before...

1 attachments
Posted on 3 years ago

From martin281

[...] I finally chose to keep the paint as is and just add a few coats of lacquer (+wet sand). [...]

I think you made the right decision in this case. Nothing beats original, even if it does need "propping up".

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here