Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Restoring a 1959 Slingerland Snare

That is a great save. I bet that drum will be killer when completed!

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

Jeff, great idea with that plywood insert!!!

What became of the wrap??

Posted on 12 years ago

JC,

The sanding warnning is for those that are finding out, If I were you I`d clean that whole inside up cuz removeing the finnish leaves original wood there. Then finnish it yourself !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

I especially like the people who put the love into it and get the inside 90`s well done, washer marks gone, re-rings squared and all that sloppy factory worker stuff gone !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

I agree!! That drum has been way altered, might as well bring it back as if it was new!

Posted on 12 years ago

Lucky, I still have the wrap but I dont think it is worth trying to put it back on because it got a little warped during removal with a heat gun. But remember I have the other shells that I am working on as well and will get new wrap for all of them.

Odball, go figure, I came in to my office to give my fingers a break from sanding all the clamp marks away and even working on the square edge like you were saying. But as far as finish goes I read in that artical about the steam box that teak oil was used to protect the wood on the inside of the shell. I suppose tung oil would do the same thing. I am not planning on spraying lacquer on it.

I think I can oil the interior just as soon as its ready, or should I wait until the drum is wrapped? I was thinking of inserting the removable plywood circle again just to keep it in round while it waits for wrap, which might be a week or two.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

Update,,,, The new wrap will be from Jammin-sams called Vintage White Pearl. It seems to be the closest one to what Slingerland offered in 59. So I will be wraping the snare and the rest of the kit in about a week. Picked up some teak oil at Lowes for the interior of the snare, not sure if I should use that on the toms or not, they have a mahogany wood interior. I did try to use the old wrap but it was to short. It must shrink from the extream heat of the heat gun. When wrapped around the shell it was about 1/2" short.

Anyway, excited about the wrap, this will be my first time using regular drum wrap. I have used veneers but never this stuff. Here is a link to the wrap ,,

http://jamminsam.com/vintage-white-pearl-on-drums-page-23/

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

Very cool that's a real nice wrap. Classic. These will look great when they are done and sound even better!!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Parts are cleaning up real nice, waiting for drum wrap.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 11 years ago

Man those really shine!! Great job I bet your excited they are getting close!

Could you do me a favor possibly?? Was wondering if you could post a closeup of the throw off side of the clamshell body front and back, backside of the handle and the bolt, spring, and nut please? I'm making a CS body from a piece of solid maple but lack detailed photos to see exactly what's what. Until I can find one to buy I wanted to make one. It'll look better than the Pearl strainer I rigged to use as a temp fix. Thanks.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here