Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Restoring a 1959 Slingerland Snare

Here is a photo of the steam box I made from 2" styrofoam. Its a funky set up but it worked very good. Also pictured is the shell clamped in a jig I made up and the re-ring was wrapped around a plywood circle after being steamed. When I steamed the entire shell the first time the glue joint let go and the drum wanted to straighten out. So the next time I took two old drum heads and cut the plastic out and used the metal rim to keep the shell from trying to straighten out again. It has been a fight to get the joint back exactly where it was. I think now I am ready to glue in the rings.

Jeff C

BTW, for the rest of the drums I still need 2-16" stick saver hoops, floor tom legs, base drum legs, 2-BD lugs, BD t-rods, badge for BD, What did I get myself into here!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

That is a very cool science project you have going there. Did you panic a little when that seam let loose the first time?

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

Cool idea on the styrofoam for the steam box. Man my heart would have sank when that seam let loose..... and then panic would set in. ;) All part of the fun I guess?? Is the shell still out of round or is it a little better? Hope it's better and the rest goes smoothly for you!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Looks like it`s on life support !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

From tnsquint

That is a very cool science project you have going there. Did you panic a little when that seam let loose the first time?

Panic enough to check ebay to see if I can buy a new one. After seeing one for 200 I new that I needed to save mine.

The shell is not perfectly round with out the rings, I am hoping the rings will help hold it into round. This certainly is an experiment, I think its going good so far. It might be that I will need oversized heads for it. I have steamed the shell twice now and the wood looks worse after each steam bath, like some of the light surface cracks that were hardly visable before are getting bigger. So I dont want to put the shell through any more stress.

Next pic will be of the jig I made to keep the drum round while the glue sets up on the rings. I am having fun.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

Like I said earlier the shell is just a bit out of round and I am hoping that the rings will help it. So I wanted my plywood circle to stay in the shell while I wait for the ring glue to set. Problem is, cant get the plywood circle out of the shell with rings installed. So I took the plywood circle and cut it down the center with the band saw then cut it down the center again perpendicular to the first cut. Then made some 3/32" shims to place between the peices to make up for the saw blade kerf, screwed it to another smaller plywood circle. Now when the glue is all set I can take out the screws and remove the plywood form. I hope the drum will finally be in round after all of this. If not, I tried my best.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

This is quite interesting JC. Do you think the "cracks" that have opened up when steamed will close back up when the shell fully dries? As to reinforcement rings, keeping the drum in round was their primary purpose as I understand it. Allowing for a wider and more rounded bearing edge was probably just a bonus. I am sure others will chime in on that, especially if I am wrong.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

That's a great idea on the insert. Very slick! You have sure covered everything and then some. I really hope all your hard work pays off.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

Success! The removable plywood circle worked like a charm. The drum is now perfectly round. I had to sand the rings to clean them up from glue and clamp marks, I know some say do not sand the inside of these drums, it will change the sound but this drums has been through so much that I don’t think sanding will hurt it. I’m just so happy to have it back together and see it nice and round.

Hard to get a pic of the fit bit it fits the drum head all the way around really nice.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

Nice!! Job very well done.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here