Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Replacing old straps on vintage fiber cases

Is there a way to replace the old straps on this vintage fiber case?

Posted on 7 years ago

Years ago, I used a Pop Rivet tool to replace a leather strap. It should work for a nylon strap, it might be a little harder to punch the holes in the strap, though.

Posted on 7 years ago

You need Bifurcated or "split" rivets.. I usually add a flat washer on the inside. Holes in the nylon webbing may be made with a soldering iron. If you are careful in removing the existing rivets you should then be able to use the already existing holes in the case...

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 7 years ago

Could someone tell me what kind of tool I need? Some rivet tools are hundreds, others are under $20. I just want to replace the currrnt straps with new ones. I couldn’t find a YouTube tutorial for this.

Posted on 7 years ago

Craft stores sell two part rivets that come with a setting tool. The post comes up from the bottom and the cap is pressed on with pressure. They come in different diameters and lengths.

1 attachments
My kit:
Ludwig Vistalite Big Beat set consisting of:
14” X 22” bass, 16” X 16” floor tom, 8” X 12” ride tom, 9” X 13” ride tom, 5” X 14” snare
Ludwig 201 Speed King bass drum pedal
Ludwig 1124 Spur-lok hit-hat with Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” cymbals (760 & 770 gr) with ching-ring
Two Ludwig Standard S-270 cymbals stands
18” Zildjian crash cymbal (1550 gr) and 20” Zildjian ride cymbal (2130 gr) with CAMCO sizzler
Gibraltar motorcycle seat-style drum throne with backrest
Posted on 7 years ago

All of the fibre cases I have seen use Bifurcated rivets,, they are available in many sizes and various material, eg; brass, steel , plated etc.

Various sellers on ebay...

All that you will need are basic tools ,screwdriver/chisel , hammer, and a flat metal surface.

Note the caps are not generally used with fibreboard.. the legs are spread flat to the surface

Cheers John

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks all for the posts on attachment. I was locked up on that bit.

Glad I have never tossed in the trash a worn out leather belt. Black dye and they will blend with the surviving straps for my cases.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 7 years ago

So I don’t need a rivet tool to add the new ones? Just replace them with a hammer? What’s the best way to take out the old ones?

Posted on 7 years ago

You should be able to carefully drill them out.

I agree about using heat to punch holes in the nylon material. You can also heat up an awl and then use that to poke holes in the nylon. As an added bonus, the holes will grommet themselves. Nylon gets stiff in the area that's "burned".

As an alternative, you can also stick with leather. Thrift stores usually have a pretty good selection of leather belts. Buy a few for cheap, and you can use those, splicing them together if needed.

Also, if rivets are too much of a pain, you can also use small screws and stop/lock nuts. Use decent size washers as backing material. They are not as "low profile" as rivets and won't be as hidden, but they do the job just fine, and are much easier to deal with.

Posted on 7 years ago

From Poetman

So I don’t need a rivet tool to add the new ones? Just replace them with a hammer? What’s the best way to take out the old ones?

Yes, as vyacheslav says... drill them out... you need to centre punch dead centre in order to get a start.

I have never had to buy the nylon strapping.. always have had an unused strap leftover from luggage etc.. Shoulder straps from laptop bags are a good thing to recycle.

I did a 24" BD case around six weeks ago, I needed to reduce the depth by 2", this meant cutting off the section where the straps were affixed. and then refitting.

Also did a Cymbal case earlier this year..

Cheers

John