Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Repairing a Ludwig Spur Lok hihat stand

I have an old Ludwig Spur Lok hihat stand. It is one of those with the white plastic tension wheel.

The plastic link between rod and footboard is missing. This is not a problem, since it can be replaced in many ways. But the plastic tensioning wheel is stuck and the whole hihat mechanism is sluggish and not usable.

I started disassembling it today but need help on how to get the lower rod (with the wheel) out of the lower tube. I loosened the two hex screws that hold this section in place, but the lower half of the rod will not come out downwards, since the bottom section where the footplate is attached stops it.

How do I get the lower half of the rod out?

Any help is appreciated.

I hope to be able to repair and use this stand, since other Spur Loks that I've come across are a) very light, and b) very responsive.

Best,

Magnus

Posted on 10 years ago

First, a little terminology. "Spur-lok" is merely the heel piece on the footboard with the reversible toothed piece, not a specific hi hat stand. Sounds like you're referring to the Atlas hi hat stand, model 1124-1, which does use a Spur-Lok footboard. The other hi hat which we so lovingly also refer to as a "Spur-Lok" is actually the 1123-1 stand, which has no spring tension adjustment. Ok, enough history lessons!

I've taken apart my share of Atlas stands and the mechanism you are talking about, that adjusts spring tension, is easily removed. You've already taken out the allen hex screws. have you already removed the rod that passes through this piece? It screws into the U-shaped metal bracket that holds either a nylon or metal connecting strap. Once the rod and allen screws are removed, the tension assembly pulls out from the bottom. If it does not, I'm thinking it may be incredibly gummed up. Check it out and let us know.

Mark

Posted on 10 years ago

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the history lesson. I kind of knew that I wasn't using the correct reference for my stand. But I stand illuminated, now. ;)

I am not sure what you mean by "the rod that passes through this piece". Do you mean the lower part of the rod running through the tube? If so, do I remove it by unscrewing it from the metal bracket that holds the connecting strap? I tried to do that, but it wouldn't come loose, and I was afraid what would happen if I applied too much force.

Please let me know about the above, so I don't damage the stand.

Best,

Magnus

Posted on 10 years ago

OK, I managed to take the stand apart by unscrewing the bracket from the lower rod. I have cleaned all parts, degreased the greasy ones, regreased whatever needed greasing with Superlube, and put everything back together again.

The plastic tension wheel turns now. I actually think the reason it didn't turn before was that the hex screws were too tight, making it stick. The mechanism seems very smooth, so the stand should work quite nicely.

Now I need to fix the missing plastic foot-board connector. Any tips for the best fix for this would be appreciated.

Also, I need some screws, most urgently the one securing the upper rod. Any ideas where I can get replacements for this?

I also need the tilting mechanism screw.

The two screws on the base of the stand assembly could need replacement too. And I am missing the spike going into the base.

Any help in finding/replacing these parts would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I attach a picture of the clutch. Obviously, the huge wing nut has got Yamaha on it and is not original. What about the rest of the clutch?

[IMG]http://web.comhem.se/inventions/downloads/Atlas%20clutch.jpg[/IMG]

Best,

Magnus

Posted on 10 years ago

The response rate to this thread has not been overwhelming. We can do better than this, right?

/Magnus

Posted on 10 years ago

Hi Magnus,

Forgot to check this thread. My apologies! Sounds like you figured out how to take apart the stand for cleaning/adjusting, etc. Rather than trying to track down all the parts, have you considered finding another Atlas stand? I realize this might not be so easy in Sweden, but you never know. I might have some parts in storage, but may take a few days to get over there and find them.

I love my rebuilt Atlas stand. Works great!

Mark

Posted on 10 years ago

Hi Mark,

No reason to apologise, you are taking good care of me. ;) I bought some parts (rubber4 insulated clamps) to replace the missing plastic foot-board connector today - only to find out that they wouldn't fit. Ouch. I will have to find another place where they sell those clamps now and hope that they have got clamps with better specs.

Atlas stands do surface now and then here, but not at all frequently. I agree that the best thing would be to get another stand and butcher it for parts. But I think my stand would be great, if I only could find or replace the missing parts.

Please do have a look for parts and let me know what you've got.

Best,

Magnus

Posted on 10 years ago

Magnus perhaps some pictures of the problem areas will help with more ideas. I'm not a Ludwig guy so I'm not sure exactly what your dealing with. But with some pictures others might have some ideas how to fix/replace things until you can find the correct parts you need.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

From FFR428

Magnus perhaps some pictures of the problem areas will help with more ideas. I'm not a Ludwig guy so I'm not sure exactly what your dealing with. But with some pictures others might have some ideas how to fix/replace things until you can find the correct parts you need.

Hi Glenn,

Thanks, that's an excellent idea. So here are some pics:

Here is one of the stand after I cleaned it and fixed its innards. This is what it looks like now.

[IMG]http://web.comhem.se/inventions/downloads/Atlas_4.jpg[/IMG]

This is the hole where the spur would go. I am missing this part and need a replacement.

[IMG]http://web.comhem.se/inventions/downloads/Atlas_1.jpg[/IMG]

I am missing the wing screw to go in this hole to secure the upper tube. Oddly, the wing screw below doesn't fit the threads of the empty hole. Perhaps the threads in the hole are damaged? What wing screw would fit this hole? M6?

[IMG]http://web.comhem.se/inventions/downloads/Atlas_2.jpg[/IMG]

This is where the tilter screw will go. I am missing this part. What specification screw/bolt will fit these threads? Perhaps I can find a suitable hex bolt.

[IMG]http://web.comhem.se/inventions/downloads/Atlas_3.jpg[/IMG]

I have two of these flimsy wing screws. This one is the least damaged of the pair. It won't unscrew, though, so I guess the threads are damaged. It does do its job, which is to secure the footboard post to the base of the stand.

[IMG]http://web.comhem.se/inventions/downloads/Atlas_5.jpg[/IMG]

Also, if anyone knows of replacement rubber feet that will fit these stands, I would appreciate a pointer in that direction. And I still need to know how original my clutch is.

/Magnus

Posted on 10 years ago

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ludwig-Spur-Lok-Hi-Hat-Stand-/261270866824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd4f50b88[/ame]

Magnus have a look at this auction. Has some good pics which might tell you what's original and what to look for. Do you have the plastic bit to connect the pedal to the stand? I've seen people use metal strapping with holes in it. Can't remember what it's called but it's easily bent and shaped with nut and bolt hold it together. Or maybe even the metal strap from a old Speed King would work? My guess the wing screws you can't remove have been mushroomed on the ends. Pretty common after years of use. Hope you get some info now you've posted pics for everyone to see. Good luck!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here