Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Removing the outer ply

Anyone ever try this? I started to work on this floor tom shell today. It came to me with rock hard filler all over it. The seller was going to use a regular wrap so the rock hard would have been fine. I will be doing a veneer and was concerned about the adhesive working on the filler. So I was trying to figure out what to do with it and discovered that much of the outer ply was loose, so here I go. I am taking the mahogany layer off, down to the poplar. Then I will add my new veneer and the drum will remain a 3-ply. Stupid or not?

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

You better buy a truckload of beer, your gonna be a while. Maybe try score it to strips with your knife and brush hot water onto it.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 10 years ago

Holy Shmit Jeff. No wonder you don't have time to work on your Speed King.:D

That's gonna be one heck of a project.

Joe

“I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”
Posted on 10 years ago

Jeff I've only done a few patches to replace torn out material. Never a whole shell. But I don't se why not? You should have no head problems either with the outer ply gone and new veneer I'd think? BTW that's at least a 2 beer job!! Laughing H

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

I had a luan mounted tom that I peeled the first layer off. It was fine. Will it be as good as new? Maybe-maybe not. But I have confidence...

Posted on 10 years ago

Hey Jeff,

I did remove the outer ply from a newer Ludwig bass drum and tom at the owners request. I built a turn table, that I will finish off as a large sanding table for trueing. But it doubled well as a lathe for sanding/grinding away the outer ply of these two drums. I know it's not quite the same as what you are doing, but I thought you might be interested to see the possibilities.

Best of luck.

Ryan

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Ok, one hour later and two beers down, half the drum is stripped to the poplar and looks good. No doubt in my mind this was the right thing to do.

Ryan, that turntable is cool! So does it have a tool rest somwhere to rest a gouge on for ripping off the veneer? I tried my Festool sander and the ply is too thick, it would take forever to sand it off. So, a few beers and and a sharp stiff putty knife, here we go.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 10 years ago

Notice that dark area in the middle of the drum. I cant figure out whats going on with that. Wonder is its from a heat gun during wrap removal.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 10 years ago

No tool rest yet, but that should be in the works. I had originally just planned to buy a round piece of granite and use sticky sand paper to true up drum edges before cutting new... It just lent itself well to this project as well. I actually used a die grinder with a heavy 40 grit disc to quickly clean away the outer ply, then sanded them after.... It worked out well, but I don't think it's something I would want to do every day.

Posted on 10 years ago

I see a knife, did it help ?

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here