Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Removing glue - 2 problems

Hey all,

I have 2 shells with glue residue problems.

One problem is glue on Slingerland mahogany outer ply wood shell. The glue is leftover residue from removing the wrap. The glue is tacky like rubber cement. I could tell the glue was pretty soft since I used a hair dryer to remove the wrap. I didn't feel like setting the house on fire with a heat gun. I would think acetone would work great on removing that kind of glue, wouldn't you agree?

The other problem is where someone tried to glue up some wrap seams and they were kinda sloppy in the clean up process. I've tried to scrape away most of it using dental tools but I'd like to get the film off (and its pretty thin) but noticeable when looking at it up close. It must be a contact cement type of adehesive because it is very hard.

Is acetone safe to use on wraps? Thanks!

Ray

Posted on 12 years ago

ON the wraps? No. It will melt or soften the wrap making it useless. On the shells, no problem.

Try lightly scraping it off with a razor blade, hold it straight up, shaving the glue off. Take your time.

Posted on 12 years ago

> Thanks Purdie!

Huh? Bernard, or me? What did I do this time? lol

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

lol for the Firesign postings. Brought back tons of memories.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for saving me from doing something stupid! guitar3

Posted on 12 years ago

gravy...pm sent

"Blaemire Archaeologist"
Posted on 12 years ago

I just cleaned a Slingerland shell like your talking about. had that sticky glue residue all over it. I used denatured alcohol and just cleaned it with old cut up sweat pant patches. Then when it seemed it was all off with a light film left I cleaned it again with wd40. It actually worked. That denatured alcohol cuts that glue pretty good. Soak a half washcloth size rag and go at it. That glue can give a asprin a headache. You can get a 32oz can of the alcohol at Home Depot for 5 or 6 dollars.

Posted on 12 years ago

Good idea vibes!

Posted on 12 years ago

I've used goof off with some success, but it does stink.

Posted on 12 years ago

It sure does. Drumjinx actually called me and gave me some pointers. Per his advice, I did the Goof Off thing. Luckily the weather was nice outside. It took quite a bit of effort, but I got almost all of the visible glue off. I tried using the scrotch brite pads but didn't have much luck. I ended up using a soft brass bristle brush to clean out the pores. A razor balde also helped when dealing with heavier layers of the glue. I figured I will lightly sand and then be good to go. Even with the painter's tape, I managed to eat away a tiny bit of the chocolate milk paint on the interior on the reinforcement hoop. Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here