Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

removing duct tape muck off wmp

ok. i got extremely lucky on craigslist a couple days ago and scored a 4 piece ludwig b and o badge wmp 3 ply w rings. im missing one badge and all the rest are no serial number badges. 2 holes in the kick no bigger than a quarter of an inch. the rest are un messed with. 20,16,13,12. with a very nice brass shell pearl snare. anyway to make a short story long. what is the best way to clean duct tape dried on evil? i dont want to harm the wrap. thanks!

2 attachments
"Time fly's like an arrow. fruit fly's like a banana"
Posted on 10 years ago

Goo Gone or Goof Off both work very well. Goof Off seems to get some of the tougher stuff.

Posted on 10 years ago

I'm gonna let you in on an ancient Chinese secret. Use WD40.

Posted on 10 years ago

+1 on the WD40, but don't get it near the seam.

Cam

"If we can't be free we can at least be cheap" -FZ
Posted on 10 years ago

I've used goo-gone and mixed some 90 rubbing alcohol with it (maybe 20-25%) and it comes off really good. The alcohol actually helps clean what's left of the oily feel of the goo-gone.

And I know you didn't ask, but you can get a nice reproduction B/O no-serial # badge from "myoldkentuckydrums" on eBay, and I think he's got some available now for around $21, $22 + minimal shipping...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 10 years ago

From CT Pro Percussion

Goo Gone or Goof Off both work very well. Goof Off seems to get some of the tougher stuff.

If I were you I would listen to this guy (Matt). I have met him in person, seen his work. He is a true professional in every way shape and form. A craftsman like no other.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

I have used acetone on chrome rims. Is that bad? Duct tape comes right off!

Posted on 10 years ago

Lighter fluid and and old toothbrush. Use Novus or Meguiar's PlasticX to bring back the luster and smoothness.

Posted on 10 years ago

I would be very careful about some of this stuff on your wrap. I know goo gone and WD40 are safe. I was using Acetone on a red wrap once to get some gunk off and noticed my cloth had red on it too so it was removing my color. I stopped immediately before I messed up anything. Acetone is ok for getting glue off a stripped shell but I would not use it on wrap.

Some of the stuff out there will melt your wrap.

Posted on 10 years ago

hey guys thanks for the response. i have wd 40 round the house so i will try that when i get a chance. goo gone and goof off are great products i just didnt want any chance at damaging the wrap. this is my first full vintage kit and am looking forward to many years of ownership. ive been so busy the last week i haven't been able to do anything but work and sleep. but my job does come with its perks. i am running a follow spot for mister ringo starr tonight and must say its the highest honor i have had so far. hopefully i can start restoring the drums next week when things slow down. i will keep you posted on my progress. thanks again guys for the info. this page is awesome. thanks! Ryan.

"Time fly's like an arrow. fruit fly's like a banana"
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here