Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Rarity scale for Ludwig finishes?

I was wondering if there's some resource out there that talks about the rarity of Ludwig's (or different companies') finishes...???

I've heard it said that blue sparkle was the most common Ludwig wrap, and "black galaxy" is the rarest, but where does, say WMP fall in the spectrum? Between BDP and green sparkle? How rare is burgundy sparkle really? Where there more gold or silver sparkle kits made? I've searched and come up with catalogs, images, etc..., but I've never found a compiled list of rarest to most common. I'm sure it would be impossible to accurately create one, but what do the fine folks of Vintage Drum Forum think/know?

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

I think the rarest would be the mod orange under the black panther!

Posted on 14 years ago

I guess I'm most interested in the sparkle finishes, if anyone wants to chime in with their wisdom about them...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

Not a sparkle, but isn't Citrus Mod the rarest of the Mods?

Posted on 14 years ago

I'd say all of the following for Ludwig...red, blue, silver and champagne sparkle, WMP and BDP, black and blue oyster are all very common.

Gold sparkle less. Green sp. even rarer. Burgundy and galaxy even rarer. Of the late '60s early '70s....psych red is fairly common, mod orange rare, citrus mod very rare. Black panther is not that common, but is a tough sell.

Later on, when you get into butcher block, and the flat colors and cortexes, I have no idea.

Posted on 14 years ago

I seem to remember a Ludwig mod finish that had almost a turquoise blue that was the dominant color. One drummer I knew had one and I almost bought one in the early 90's. Is my memory playing tricks on me?

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks, Rich K.!

After talking to a collector friend of mine who has kept his eyes on the market for the past 20 years or so, he said that this is a pretty fair estimate of the most common to the most rare sparkle finishes for Ludwig drums:

blue

silver

champagne

gold

red

green

burgundy

black galaxy

How accurate do you think this summation is, in your experiences/opinions? I'm just trying to get a general consensus...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

I have been looking for a 70's Gold Sparkle FT for two years.

I would have to say that Gold is far more difficult to find than Red.........

me thinks......

Posted on 14 years ago

I know where there is a 22" Black Galaxy bass. In excellent to almost perfect condition, and the rest of the kit may be hidden around the shop. I do NOT think he will part with it. If there is any interest, PM, I will wander about and see if he might let it go.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Would Natural maple and Mohogany be some of the most rare finishes beyond the pearl finishes? I have never seen a keystone badge natural maple kit like Bonhams or Ringos turn up. I own a maple jazzette and only a few of these have surfaced.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here