Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Radio king reinforcing rings

Hello all, I have a early 40's radio king shell that looks as if it has seen it's better days. Any rate I'm having trouble with the reinforcing rings. The top ring fell out but I was able to re glue it in with minimal trouble. The snare side is giving me trouble. It looked as if it only needed to be glued and clamped so I did, well now it's out of round by 3/16". Is there a person or shop out there that can replace these rings or is it possible to rotate this ring 90 degrees and hopefully correct the out of round problem? Any advice will be great.

Posted on 12 years ago

From 70t-37

Hello all, I have a early 40's radio king shell that looks as if it has seen it's better days. Any rate I'm having trouble with the reinforcing rings. The top ring fell out but I was able to re glue it in with minimal trouble. The snare side is giving me trouble. It looked as if it only needed to be glued and clamped so I did, well now it's out of round by 3/16". Is there a person or shop out there that can replace these rings or is it possible to rotate this ring 90 degrees and hopefully correct the out of round problem? Any advice will be great.

How did you reglue the ring in? Do you used "C" clamps? How many clamps did you used? Do you open the ring and glue it back in the shell? Or did you just glue the ring in with out opening it? When you put the ring back in the drum do you line up the snare beds from the ring to the shell? So many questions but have to fine out what you did..Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

The top (batter) ring fell out. I glued it in the drum with a 1" c clamp every Inch. It was wild looking. that ring seemed ok. It's not perfect but the batter side of the drum is in round and the ring is solid. The bottom ring that I'm having trouble with (snare side, reso) was still glued in from

The factory. It was separated at the shell seem(single ply shell) and at various points around the drum. When I injected glue into the separated areas and clamped it the drum went out of round. It's bad enough that a Aquarians American vintage will not go on without force. With that said should I try to remove (now its glued with fresh glue) the ring or is there someone out there that can make a new round reinforcing ring and install it in my shell. I am not a drum repair person but have some common knowledge. I would prefer to send it out and have a new ring installed if it doesn't cost a ton. I can buy a vaugncraft shell for 170 dollars should I do that. I don't know.

Posted on 12 years ago

let me field a question or two, did you measure the shell prior to your fix? also what glue was used for the repair? RK'S are notoriously well known for out of round shells. I have Repaired a boat load of them.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

I did measure but wasn't recording the measurements. It was out of round by 1/16" at most top and bottom. When I glued the top back in it the shell went true round on top When I glued the bottom it went 3/16" out of round. Worse than before. I used titebond original(red label water clean up.

I agree that these shells go out of round or actually came from factory but this shell after I glued the bottom you can actually see the oblong shape. I'm certain that if the ring was removed it would go back to a usable state but should I try to put the ring in another position or would anyone out here want to take this project on. I will try to post some pictures shortly. It's I think a 40-42 with clamshell (first version) this drum had the original parts and flesh hoops still On the drum. It's a 14x7 originally white lacquer. Nickel hardware. I would love to save it if at all possible.

Posted on 12 years ago

From 70t-37

I did measure but wasn't recording the measurements. It was out of round by 1/16" at most top and bottom. When I glued the top back in it the shell went true round on top When I glued the bottom it went 3/16" out of round. Worse than before. I used titebond original(red label water clean up. I agree that these shells go out of round or actually came from factory but this shell after I glued the bottom you can actually see the oblong shape. I'm certain that if the ring was removed it would go back to a usable state but should I try to put the ring in another position or would anyone out here want to take this project on. I will try to post some pictures shortly. It's I think a 40-42 with clamshell (first version) this drum had the original parts and flesh hoops still On the drum. It's a 14x7 originally white lacquer. Nickel hardware. I would love to save it if at all possible.

post some pics it will help immensely. you sound like you are qualified to do the job pull the re ring make sure it is solid it's self before re installing it back in to the shell, sand, clean and remove any glue residue to the re ring before re install it to the shell surface.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

Hello, I'm sorry but I can't figure out how to post pics with an iPad or iPhone.

Do you know how to do this?

Posted on 12 years ago

I guess I can't upload pictures from my phone or iPad. I don't even know if I have a digital camera anymore. I will have to look for it.

As for my radio king. One of my other radio king snares had problems at one point in it's life before I bought it from my drum instructor. It has had ring,edge,and bed work done by a guy named Nodar Rode from new Jersey. I talked to him today and he is interested in working on it. From what I can tell on my 5.5" radio king (where I got his name) he does great work. Has anyone else used him or heard of his work? he said reinforcing rings, snare beds, and bearing edges are his specialty. He seems like a really nice guy. Any thoughts?

Posted on 12 years ago

Il be surprized if you can get the ring off if you glued with titebond and clamped every inch. You might have to do what I am about to attemp and that would be build some forms and steam the shell in a steam box. Check out my thread on restoring a 1959 Krupa.

How many clamps did it take, I need to get some for mine.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

I had 28 clamps surrounding the drum. I got all of them at home depot for less than 2.00 each. I do suggest you buy the 1" or 1.5". They seemed to work better.

The bottom ring in question wasnt glued all the way around. It was the top I had clamped every inch. The bottom ring SHOULD detach

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here