Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

"Majestic" Slingy copy

I have a drummer friend of mine. I was showing him my drums and talking about ebay and he asked me to keep my eye out for some red pearl majestics. I found a snare 1st, then I found a 5 piece kit. both snares have identical heads top and bottom and everything else is identical, except the dampener. The dampener knob on one has this big wing nut lookin thing between the knob and shell, enabling you to engauge the dampener fully with one twist on 2 fingers. The other dont have the wing thing, but looks like it is supposed to. Very cool design actually. The lugs look like slingy's. All these really need is a dang good cleanin and some heads.

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 14 years ago

...and you know I have weakness...CryBaby...why not just leave a bottle of vodka on my doorstep....LoLoLoLo

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Those drums have Star written all over them.Clapping Happy2

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

They are Star. Made in this style, with this badge, from the mid 60s until about 71.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

They are Star. Made in this style, with this badge, from the mid 60s until about 71.

I'm restoring (well, more like cleaning up) a little Majestic "De-Luxe" kit (12, 14, 20") with the same badges. Mine has the offset lugs, looking kinda like real old Sonar. Has the orgianl Sound Master head on 'em. Someone took the wrap off and painted them flat black...looks cool actually!!!! I'm gonna gig with the kit eventually and make the most outta that $8.50 Laughing H I paid for them!!

Posted on 14 years ago

From JSdrums

I'm restoring (well, more like cleaning up) a little Majestic "De-Luxe" kit (12, 14, 20") with the same badges. Mine has the offset lugs, looking kinda like real old Sonar. Has the orgianl Sound Master head on 'em. Someone took the wrap off and painted them flat black...looks cool actually!!!! I'm gonna gig with the kit eventually and make the most outta that $8.50 Laughing H I paid for them!!

[COLOR=blue]Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!![/COLOR] My son's are the same, except we have 2-12s. Are the shells 6 ply lauan, or the 3 ply? If the 3 ply, I can give you some serious insight on these shells, and the others as well. I just finished a 3 ply from the late 50s-early 60s and they are some of the coolest looking, and very sweet sounding drums. Low, thunderous...very nice tone.

The Majestics, now they are different. This kit was the very first ones I took apart. I am about to tear them down again and really do a number on them, fresh edges and all.

[COLOR=blue]Let's see those Majestics!!![/COLOR]

Posted on 14 years ago

Those Majestics look AWESOME!!! NICE!

-Ad

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

[COLOR=blue] Are the shells 6 ply lauan, or the 3 ply? If the 3 ply, I can give you some serious insight on these shells, and the others as well. [COLOR=blue][B]Let's see those Majestics!!![/COLOR]

I think they're 6 ply, no re-rings, rounded bearing edges. Someone painted the interiors grey (like Rogers, hahahaha). Hope to be finished fixing it up and have pics up real soon! I wanna put a ride cymbal mount on the bass drum.

Posted on 14 years ago

From JSdrums

I think they're 6 ply, no re-rings, rounded bearing edges. Someone painted the interiors grey (like Rogers, hahahaha). Hope to be finished fixing it up and have pics up real soon! I wanna put a ride cymbal mount on the bass drum.

JSdrums, the grey paint on the inside of the drum was most likely done at the factory. Many, or even most of the Star made drums have grey painted interiors. From your description, other than the wrap, the shells sound like they haven't been messed with (a very good thing!) Also, are there already holes for a cymbal mount on the bass drum? Most of these came with a cymbal mount of some kind on them.

I'd like to see some pics of that set, if you could post them. Before, in process, and after pics are always good.

Posted on 14 years ago

From cn679

Also, are there already holes for a cymbal mount on the bass drum? Most of these came with a cymbal mount of some kind on them.

yeah, there are 3 holes drilled for what looks like a cymbal stand mount. I'll probably get a Gibraltar one and have to drill new holes...oh well.

The bottom heads were missing when I got it. I'm having a hard time getting tension rods to fit. Anyone have any leads on the rods??? They're small.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here