Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

"Help me indetify this Pearl kit"

Hi Guys, I recently picked up this old Pearl kit with the intent of restoring them to their former glory. I've been doing the research and best I can figure is that they are a 1969 Challenger in gold oyster pearl. But the snare drum doesn't line up with this, it's a steel 8 lug 14x5.5. I'm thinking this could have been changed at some time in the kits life as some of the stands are from another company and the kick pedal is a later model Pearl one with an upside down spring. The drums themselves are 20x14, 12x8 and 14x14 with the silver script logo's. The photo's will tell you more than I possibly could. This is my first post by the way and I'm looking forward to searching your forums for info to help me one my restoration journey. Thanks for your help...

Posted on 14 years ago

Nice kit. Going by the badge on the snare it's an earlier drum and not part of the kit originally. That's a really nice wrap colour on the kit. It'll clean up well. You've got a bit of rust to deal with on the BD hoops though. They'll sound good when they're up and running too. Make sure you post some after shots.

I have a similar kit but slightly later (maybe by a couple of years or so) and I love playing it - really nice sounding kit.

1 attachments
Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome! The snare is a bit of a puzzler to me. The lugs on the snare first appear in the catalogs in 69, the badge, although from 67 and earlier is on the Valencia kits in 69. This would have been a chromed shell, not painted. The earlier COS snares, introduced in the 66 catalog, did not have the ribs around the center either.

That is a special wrap, too bad of the rust and pitting on the chromed parts. Be very careful when removing the rust, and please, don't run off half-cocked trying to remove the rust, you can really cause irreversible damage by not knowing how to properly remove it. As for the hoops, you can find good, clean replacements from the correct era and replace the bass inlay, those hoops are shot with rust and getting off will kill your spirit. It would be much less headache to replace them than to put so many hours into these only to have them look only marginal upon completeion.

As for the wrap, use the Novus treatment, it will bring that gorgeuos color back to life. I may have replacement parts for your tom arm and mount plates. Let me know if would like to look into replacing them with cleaner parts. These are great sizes and will sound really special when complete.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the info guy's, I didn't think the snare would have originally been painted. There are spots were the paint has chipped off and it looks to be chrome underneath. I should be able to remove it, possibly with paint thinner, and we'll see what we end up with.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey there, gotta love that wrap! The give away is the tom mount- that was happening only a very brief period of 2-3 years- they had problems with it (I have never had a problem with it though) and went to a different design in 1972. That fact puts it right into 69-72 - the Pearl script badge was kept until about 1970. All, all, all the kits were made of the same wood shell construction except the fiberglass Presidents at that time- so the various names of the outfits was just marketing. The snare is probably a year or two older than the kit and has been messed around with. Gotta love 'em though- take your time and restore her- you'll be glad you did it.Sumo Dude

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

As Jonni said, those BD hoops look pretty shot. If you're careful though, you may be able to save the inlays and transfer them onto some good hoops.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 14 years ago

From Fayray

As Jonni said, those BD hoops look pretty shot. If you're careful though, you may be able to save the inlays and transfer them onto some good hoops.

The hoops are past it I'm afraid. Also one of the inlays is gone too, there is about 20% if it missing all together, but the other one should be salvageable. The thing that concerns me most is some damage to the wrap on the bass drum, I've put in a few pics to show everyone. What is the best way to attack this? Would a repair be possible? It's going to be the worst part of the whole restoration process, no doubt. I love your kit too Fayray, it's sweet. There's one on eBay at the moment very similar only in gold oyster. It's a 5 hour drive to pick it up but I'm thinking about it. ha ha...

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

I'd just carefully glue that down and live with it. Not sure you can do much else. You'll hardly notice it.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 14 years ago

From Fayray

I'd just carefully glue that down and live with it. Not sure you can do much else. You'll hardly notice it.

That was my thoughts. I don't want to start re wrapping or any thing like that as the wrap on the toms is very good for their age, just lifting slightly at the joins. Any suggestions on glue?

Posted on 14 years ago

Also- I suggest some nice maple bass drum hoops- they`d be great on that kit. No need to keep those if they are beyond restoration limits for you. Take them off and auction them off- someone needs them for sure.

For heavy rust I use a paste of baking soda and water- I apply it and then ball up aluminum foil and scrub the hoop with the aluminum foil using the baking soda /water paste as the lube and grit. I would not do that on a rare vintage kit- but for this you`ll be fine. I have had extremely little scratching with this method of rust removal. For rare pieces- I use a commercial rust remover and then chrome polish - but for this kind of rust I used baking soda/water/ aluminum foil every time.singer

The wrap - I agree clean it all carefully and glue down the ripped parts and just love it as it is. It`s a battle hardened veteran not a virgin. This photo here is a 69 Pearl Thunderking that came to me in much the same condition as the one you have there- I worked on it as I have told you and just took my time with it.

[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/Osakabop/P1010016-3.jpg[/IMG]

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here