Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Pysch red downbeat...

so i picked up a downbeat kit thats been added on to. It also is in pretty rough shape. The 14 is in decent shape. The 13 isn't horrible either. A couple rough spots on the bearing edge. It however is an add on. So yes, we have a gaping hole for a center ludwig mount. The 12 had some bubbles i made quick work of and portions of the shell where the lug has actually pulled the shell outward in those spots. It also has one chip in the wrap. The bass. This is where the work and pain is. Aside from the center mount, theres a few splits that i'll address. Not too worried about the splits though. I'll fill them and blend them and the color is so obscure to begin with, it should be easy to color in and blend. I'll periodically take pics as I go. I'm not sure how much success I'll have with a couple of ideas I have but we'll see.

Jason

1 attachments
116.4 kB
Posted on 9 years ago

I also forgot to mention the amount of fading this kit has and how rough the finish is. It's so filthy and hazy. The sun has taken it's toll on it. You know how plastic can get foggy when it's sun dried? Plus there's a lot of little rough spots to deal with. Here's what they look like wet sanded. This is a process i've used for years and I don't need to hear anyones opinion on it. I've worked with 150 to 200,000$ cars in the past so i've got a good hand for the process. I know some people will be squawking in their head as they read this.Hurting

Posted on 9 years ago

This is the process i use to push the buldges back in place. Requires some moisture and slow incremental adjustments. Works perfectly.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

I once brought a wood hoop back to true and round using a "steam bath" and a knitting hoop.......

I'd say you have a good handle on what you want to accomplish and how you're going to go about it.

Eagerly awaiting the finished product!

:)

Kevin
Posted on 9 years ago

Ya, thanks for sharing the pics. Gives me the guts to try it for myself.

Posted on 9 years ago

Look at all that green under the lugs and brackets eh? I think they still look pretty damn awesome, glad you're keeping that wrap. Where does the air in the bulges escape?

And now for my opinion on the wet sanding process....:)

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

Where does the air in the bulges escape?

And now for my opinion on the wet sanding process....:)

Mitch[/QUOTE]

The bulges are in the shell itself. I've seen on a few occasions where ludwig shells get these bulges where the lugs are located. Most likely because the lugs themselves are large and hollow inside. The screw pulls the shell into the inside of the casing creating a bulge in the shell. So there's no air bubble to deal with. However, bubbles in wrap might present a problem like that. But in my encounters, the bubbles always form by the lugs. So getting those out are never an issue. And man, i'm always catching hell for the sanding/buffing process. But some shells require a more thorough approach.

Jason

Posted on 9 years ago

Ah, I get it. Makes sense now...was thinkin you'd make a little slit in the wrap or the air would escape from the nearest lug holes...but it's the wood of the shell itself.

I'm certain I have seen other threads with the wet sand/buff process. I mean hey, if it works and the results are good it's basically unassailable right? I have faith! :)

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

Couple of after shots of the 14x14. since it had the least to deal with..

Posted on 9 years ago

I got another good pic of the 14, but it keeps failing. I'll try again later. I'm also finishing the extra 13, so i'll get some pics of that too.

Jason

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here