Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Premier drum-set: help identifying/pricing

Hi there,

I am currently trying to buy a set of premier drums on ebay, but all the seller tells me is that they are form the 70's which I am doubting since the badge looks like the 80's one. It is priced at 499pounds. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about it (see pictures below) and can tell me an appropriate price. I'll be getting the serial number soon, hopefully...

The set is: bass drum 22", floor tom 16" rack toms, at 12 and 13". It's been refirbished and the skins have been replaced, but it still has the original Premier Everyday bottoms.

I bought a premier snare to go with it for 100pouns - 14 x 6.5" which is a PREMIER 36 from 1976 (serial reads 3376)

Thanks everyone, your help is appreciated.

Posted on 14 years ago

I just scored a sweet vintage Premier last weekend and one of my

badges looks like yours, early 70's kit that I got. I'm not a Premier

expert though, I'm sure there will be a UK dude along or another USA

guy shortly to chime in...

Found it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

According to the timeline on this page, that badge was in use from roughly 1967 to 1981. It's pretty similar to the 1981-86 badge. The difference between the two badges is the size of the big red P and how the word "PREMIER" aligns with it.

Posted on 14 years ago

Early 70's, with the Size of the "P" and added serial numbers (the numbers are meaningless so don't worry about getting them for ID purposes), and the infamous Speedboat lugs (that's what they're nicknamed as). 70 to 72, I'd say. Mahogany shells?

Posted on 14 years ago

Sorry, but: no.

These 'speedboat lugs' were manufactured in the late 70s. And the tom bracket to the shell with the L-arm was manufactured first in the 80s (acc. to my best knowledge).

So this is not a 'real' vintage set (or let's better say: one of the latest vintage drumsets). ;-)

Worth: approx. GBP 200 or so.

Ralf

NB: the source of my best knowledge:

http://www.drumarchive.com/Premier/

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

They look to be the "Crown"series-standard dimension and gold color-early 80's.Those are very nice drums.Premier's quality was excellent,with interiors as nice as exteriors.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.

From looking at the premier catalogues it looks likes this is a 1980-81 Soundwave, same gold laquer finish, although I can't be completely sure about that.

Will having the serial number not help date it?

Posted on 14 years ago

No, unfortunately the serial numbers are disordered. As far as I know Premier has given them coincidentally always. (My 70s Premier has numbers between 3500 and 12000, all with the same badge design ...)

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

From what I can gather, this is an early soundwave, yes. A great kit, but it wouldn't go for that asking price over here I don't think. One just like it was listed very recently, and it didn't hit reserve. It ended somewhere between £220 and £300 from what I can recall.

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 14 years ago

I was bidding for this kit on ebay, but it didn't hit the reserve. It ended at about 195pounds. I'll see if I can haggle my way down, perhaps tell him it's probably not 70's vintage.

How were soundwaves classed? I mean: beginner, intermediate etc...

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here