Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Premier '303 Outfit'

I guess it's nearly impossible to find even a similar drum wrap these days.

Is it not possible to glue the wrap back together at the shell?

Indeed the value of the kit will go down (to just the value of the demounted hardware parts selling them separately on ebay). In case that you rewrap the set, maybe the money you earn back can be kept on a certain level if you choose a classic finish like WMP.

But it may happen as well, that you just get the same money for the kit that you have paid before for the wrap alone ...

If you really only want to make money out of it, take all hardware parts off and sell each one separately on ebay (although I'm NOT a friend of this kind of procedure).

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

Freakin' BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 12 years ago

Ralf,

Impossible to glue back the wrap. There was missing pieces and the rest that was still on it cracked all the way.

What's WMP ?

I am also not a friend regarding selling it in parts. I got it free. I know I could sell parts, take the money out of it and buy me another drum. But Premier is already a good drum and love the sound of this vintage drum.

I made a quote with the guys of Precision for the Vintage Sky Blue warp which is quite beautiful. It would coste me about 375$ with the glue included to recover all the drum. I thought it could be a good deal since I got the drum free.

Not sure if the value of it, in the shape I got it, would worth a lot. I checked on ebay and google (there's not a lot for Premier)....and different toms but similar could be sold around 300$ each. I have two in good shape. So I am starting at 600$. After, there are the floor and the bass drum without the wrap that my guess would cost around 300$ for both. So I am now at 900$. My snare is not an original. It's a XPK that missing 1 lug and two are not original. Heard that the lugs for this snare where coming from the starclassic Tama and they are breaking up easily. So I will change them all for better lugs. I red that it wouldn't cost ver much than around 200$. So now we are at 1100$. I don't have the bass drum pedal, the highat stand there's the rubber on the pedal that is missing and it's in a bad shape. The snare stand is fair but the rubber is very dry. Honestly, I don't know if it would worth to restore it like the original since I have missing parts and also missing wraps. Not original condition won't affect the sound anyway. :) I want to keep all the gear as much as the original but as for the wrap, since it's badly damaged it's a different thing.

Get me back :)

I'll put some pictures of what it looks like right now in the near futur.

Posted on 12 years ago

'WMP' = the classy 'White Marine Pearl' finish.

$ 375 for a covering of all shells seems all little high (but I can speak for Europe only).

Ever tried this guy? http://www.stdrums.de/

As far as I know 'Delmar' from the USA has excellent wraps ... You should find other/ less expensive sources.

I wonder whether you'll really catch $ 900 for the shells in USA ... Complete sets sell in the UK for approx. 200 - 500 (in good shape). But, again, I'm not an expert on the US market.

Forget about the 'genuine' pedals (the model 250 or 250S) and hihat. They may be useful for reference and to show the set in original condition, not more. They aren't playable.

I have a 250S (a single bass drum pedal) in nearly perfect condition - but, compared to today's standard - and that's my Tama Iron Cobra Flexi-Glide for me - it can't stand it in the least.

Conclusion: if your drumset has all hardware parts complete (all lugs, all hoops, all dampers, all legs etc.) it really makes sense to rewrap the shells. If you have to look for missing parts, which are expensive everywhere, I guess, you'll have to give too much money into it - and better sell it then.

Ralf

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks Ralf for your info. You've been really helpful.

I looked at the web site you gave me. With the exchange (now Euro has more value than US/CAN) it will cost me at least around 150$us more. And thant, for the same wrap I want.

I have a clamp missing on the bass drum (not sure if it's the right word for it). I have a rod missing for the bass drum feet (spur). There is a king of handmade washer to put more space on each clamps on the bass drum. I found some rubber spacer that could replace them. As for the spurs, I'm not sur if the one I saw on the web site you gave me is the right one which is the part #34lite. I may also miss one screw I thing on the floor

I found the right lugs for my snare. They are cheap but for now it will do the job until I really find the right ones.

Anyway, I have to check in some boxes in my basement to see if I can find the missing pieces.

I'm very interested by your cymbal holder in the middle of your drum. Is it possible to find one ?

Hey, man, thanks again. You really help me not making errors by working too fast. When I begin a new project I'm always too much enthousiaste to see the result.

I'll take some pictures when I'll find a camera

Dave

Posted on 12 years ago

Hello,

Please make pics of the parts that you think are missing. I don't know what you mean with 'clamp' on a bass drum.

If you use the 'Search' in this forum, I'm sure you will find alternative wrap offers.

I also needed plastic washers (or O-rings) for the tension rods at the bass drum, to make them easy turning around. I don't think that rubber rings make the tuning easy at a bass drum. Plastic is the better option.

I'm afraid the spurs from ST Drums may not fit (wrong diameter and - more important: not long enough).

A lot of Premier experts are here:

http://www.mikedolbear.co.uk/forum/default.asp

You may ask there (section 'I need help') for specific Premier parts. Measure the one you still have because I first bought ones that were too short, although genuine Premier!

The cymbal holder between the two rack toms is a custom made one, by myself. It's a single piece. You could use an additional cymbal arm plus a clamp, attached to one of the tom arms to add a cymbal between the rack toms.

Ralf

Posted on 12 years ago

Another fantastic accomplishment, Ralf! Amazing work! Well done, my friend.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks, Brian, I appreciate your compliments greatly!

Ralf

Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Ralf,

It's been a while since our last exchange.

First of all, happy new year and the best for you and your family. :)

I finaly bought myself a digital camera and took pictures of my drum. Is there a way to send you the pics outside the forum ? I may have too many to show you. Of course, feel free. :)

Meanwhile, I am about to send an email to Delmar to have a quote.

Also, lately, I found on the web an exact drum like our both drums and the guy was selling it around 900$ US which is between 500 and 600 GBP. So I think more and more my 2 toms (that are the only one fully original) might worth not much than 300 US/200 GBP

The word I was looking for the piece of bass drum that was missing was a claw. I bought one from Ebay. I also miss the purs. Just the rod. I found a few one on Ebay. Looking for the right time to buy them.

Anyway, give me a shout. :)

Dave

Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Ralf,

congratulations to your very nice Set. I got two premier sets in grey shimmer too (20-12-14-14 and 22-12-14-16). I’m very interested in your selfmade bracket and especially the double tom holders (they are longer than standard - right?), because for me the position of the toms on my 20”-Bassdrum is too low. Could you perhaps post some fotos that show details of your solution?

Thanks and greetings

Kurt

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here