Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Pre-serial Supersensitive strainer question

I have a preserial number Ludwig supersensitive COB snare. Functionally and sonically it is great. However, it is fitted with a later model SS strainer (ie, the larger snare tension knobs, tubular snare guards etc).

I would like to return this drum to its original equipment.

Questions:

Is there anything unique about the preserial# SS strainer, versus mid 60s etc?

Would any of the small knob, strap type guard setups work?

Should the slide deal be metal instead of plastic?

Erich

Posted on 3 years ago

Hi Erich!

I'm certainly no expert in regards to the Super Sensitive. What I can tell you is that these earlier versions use a set of snare wires that are now impossible to find. Is this the version you want to go back to?

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago

Hi Erich,

I once collected about a dozen 1960s-1970s SS snares, but only have two at this time. One is a pre-serial number - 1961, I think it is - one of the earliest produced, from the collection of BEC. I also played a 6 1/2" 1976 SS for decades....I studied the various production changes made over the years, but - unfortunately - I'm out of town right now and cannot access those two drums nor the notes I've made...I'll be home on Monday and will be happy to tell you then what details I've accumulated, and I can photograph my early SS....My memory can no longer be trusted, but what I do know, is that the earliest SS snares have a throw-off unlike the common SS's. It pivots in the opposite direction as most Ludwig SS's....The earliest snare wires - thru about the early-to-mid 1960s, had individually-adjustable wires! Yeah, hard to believe. I have no experience with these, as I always used the later SS snares, which are the same as common snare wires, except for the metal ends that engage the throw-off mechanism(s). These are available via Ludwig or Puresound, or on ebay. There are two types - early and late.

I think the steel link (slide deal) part was changed to plastic in the mid-1960s (after serial numbers started).

I never had any problems with my 1976 snare - I thought it had great sound, but most guys don't like the SS because they say it is finicky to get it sounding good. If you are happy with your's now, I'd be inclined to leave it be. But to each his own.

Like any other snare, it takes patience and care to tune it well, with the snare wires "centered" along the bottom head - and with the clever SS mechanism(s), you can ensure that your snare wires are touching the head evenly all along the width of the head.

We can probably all agree that the SS is over-engineered, but with time and attention, it can be a great sounding snare. The primary reason I switched to Jazzfests and Supraphonics a few years ago, is because the late-style SS snare guards (the large tubular ones) were either bumping against my mounted tom, or against my stool...or pressing against my bass drum leg. I could never get it out of my way, consistently.

But whatever floats your boat! Regards, MB

Posted on 3 years ago

Erich,

The Cam/slide parts were switched to plastic around 1962-63 when Ludwig probably ran out of the left over stock from the 40's. There exists COB models with both.

The pre-'69 SS strainer (P-88) had 10 individually adjustable snares or 18 fixed and the later, larger version (P-70) had up to 15 individually adjustable snares. I'm not sure of the reasons for re-engineering a beefer version. Perhaps the original version proved too delicate and thin sounding for the larger marching drums.

Kurt

Check the interior of the shell to see if new holes were drilled to accommodate the later P-70 ( I can't remember if this was required or not)

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 3 years ago

Here is a photo from a Ludwig catalog that I have in my computer. It was probably posted by someone on this forum. This shows the 1969 + later SS mechanism. The snare wires I used on my 1976 SS are #1224. 18 strand, not individually adjustable. The fittings at the end of the snare wires (that attach to the mechanisms) are identical - shaped roughly like a T with a pivot in the middle.

FYI, MB

Posted on 3 years ago

Wow thanks for all the replies. A little more info: My snare has the red baseball bat muffler, 10 individually adjustable snare wires and even a ludwig key that has a special tool to adjust the wires. I really like the entire concept. I can imagine on the road this would be a bit delicate and the strainer sticks out alot but wow is it sensitive.

I had to do some fixing of the shell after I got it. It must have been dropped on the muffler arm. Really easy to fix with the soft brass shell.

It sounds like there are maybe 3 versions of the strainer? One with metal slide (parts left over from early days), potentially with reverse action, the early pre68 version and the one I have with the large knob and tubular guards?

What I am thinking is to buy an early COA that is beat up and swap my later mechanism on that and put the early one on my early snare....Also need a top hoop that is COB. Only my bottom one is COB right now....

Posted on 3 years ago

Yes, as Kurt mentioned, the earliest (1961-1962) SS snares used some leftover parts from an earlier era. From studying the 10 or more collector-grade SS's I had at one time, plus those seen on ebay, Ludwig was constantly making small changes to the snare mechanisms. Even the scripted Ludwig logo (on the long arm) had variations. The snare guards changed twice before the 1969 (and later) P-70 was manufactured.

And I think that you are correct that there were 3 distinct variations among the throw-off mechanisms...but I need to check my notes when I get home. Memory cannot be trusted.

Your red baseball bat muffler is correct for the preserial number era, as are your snare wires.

On Monday, I'll photograph my COB 1961 and my COA 1964 (badge number 3858) and you'll be able to see the changes made, at that point.

Regards, MB

Posted on 3 years ago

Thanks, Marty. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

It is amazing how potent a snare sound it gives with just those 10 wires.

Erich

Posted on 3 years ago

Here are two photos - lifted from ebay, I think it was - that show a 1930s Super Sensitive. These photos show the throw-off in the snares "on" position. Note the large strainer guards.

Posted on 3 years ago

Here are photos of a first production (postwar) 5" Super Sensitive. Approx 1961. Shell and hoops are COB, early Imperial lugs, 3/4" round muffler, pre-serial number. This monster weighs 10#, 4.8 ounces.

Note that the throw-off mechanisms are virtually identical to the 1930s hardware, with only minor changes in pivots and angles (see post above).

First photo is snares on, second photo is snares off. The 10 snare wires are individually adjustable with a small screwdriver blade that is attached to the drum key.

The strainer guards are thinner and susceptible to bending if the drum is dropped. But they can just as easily be bent back into position! They are secured to the drum by the tension rods on either side.

Regards, MB

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here