Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

pre-serial Jazzette!!

I did not see this listed but it looks like someone is selling a beautiful pre-serial jazzette set. I don't think I have ever seen one this old before. I'll bet it brings quite a few dollars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LUDWIG-JAZZETTE-SET-SILVER-SPARKLE-WOW_W0QQitemZ330186805054QQihZ014QQcategoryZ64440QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Kurt,

Interesting. The Jazzette kit first appeared in the 1967 catalog, so the fact that this is supposed to be a 1963-64 Jazzette kit sets off some real red flags. Also, as the seller notes, it is a re-wrap...and likely was put together from some unrelated drums. Plus, the interiors were re-painted and the badges polished....more red flags...It then becomes a matter of what a buyer is willing to believe.

That said, I'll bet the drums sound great and will likely sell for a decent price -but not a Jazzette collector's price, in my opinion

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

After I carefully re-read the listing I would agree as well. It's still a nice set and would sound great though. I would love to know what the drums were originally. I wonder if the bass drum really is a pre-serial drum? I'll have to watch this auction and see where it goes.

Posted on 16 years ago

What would a real, all original Jazzette kit sell for?

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

That's a good question.

I have a feeling that an international auction for an original 1967 mahogany lacquer matched kit with stands might well fetch $5K (maybe more). I just saw a black sparkle Gretsch jazz kit go for over $7K.

Who knows what the future may hold? I'm almost HOPING that Ludwig re-releases the Jazzette configuration via their new "Legacy" line of drums -not because I think they will sound like the old Ludwigs (actually, I don't think they will), but rather because IF they do re-release it, it will draw more attention to the vintage Jazzettes and make them even MORE desirable to collectors!

Here's an interesting point, though....

I reckon that some people wouldn't part with their Jazzette for all the tea in China! Personally, it took me years to find one -even an "improper" one (the '67) and a proper one (the '69). After all that, I'm not giving them up anytime soon! Why? Because, in addition to being collectible and valuable, they are also FUN-TO-PLAY!! (and they look cool!)Burger Kin

Posted on 16 years ago

I agree that they are like finding hens teeth. I lucked onto mine by accident. My collector friend had it and he is not really into Ludwigs. He also teaches and was renting the set out to young students!

I saw the set one day and was like "what the hell is this doing here!" I fell in love with it and got him to sell it to me. I paid $1300.00 for the 12x18,8x12,14x14 and a 1966 jazzfest in silver sparkle that matched the set. I have not regretted it since.

I figure once I get too old to play rock and move around a rock set I will still be able to play jazz on my jazzette.Hurting I don't plan on giving up either anytime soon though.electricit

Posted on 16 years ago

That kit has been on ebay 3 or 4 times now. That seller sold a jazzette kit that was rewrapped in purple sparkle and got $3000 for it, and I think they won't settle for less with this kit.

Here's a sleeper jazzette kit...18x12...you'd just need a 14x14 and $2.5K!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1960s-LUDWIG-DRUM-SET-ORIGINAL-OWNER-MINT_W0QQitemZ290180912992QQihZ019QQcategoryZ64440QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As for my kits, I'm not against selling them. I like to think that everything I have is for sale, and try not to get caught up in regretting things I've sold, etc. Yes, a jazzette kit might be worth $40,000 in 10 years, who knows. But it's a lot of psychic energy for me to keep stuff around just because it's an investment. I start to become too materialistic and lose the meaning of why instruments and music are important, which is worth a lot more to me than any amount of money. Don't get me wrong, I ain't giving any jazzettes away any time soon!

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

I agree with that point, too. I suppose at some point in time, it will be time to sell them...hopefully when I am a blithering old sack of bones and don't know any better...or dead...or both! But, until that time comes, I feel as if I am holding a couple of aces in my hand. The funny thing about all this collecting and discerning over little details about drums is that, up until 1998, I had played the same drum set since 1974 -that being a black Rogers Big R MemriLoc "Ultra Power Seven" kit -or at least parts of it! ;). Throughout all those years, I couldn't have told you the number of plies in the shells or the type(s) of wood used or what the bearing edge profile was...or ANY of that. I just knew the names of the companies and that Rogers was the name a lot of drummers liked...so I went with that name, too.

That was the extent of my drum knowledge up until one decade ago. That's when the fever bit.

It's funny what one can learn in retrospect!

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Interesting. That small tom would have to be a '68 or a '69 judging from the large rotary knob(s) and keystone badges. I have seen a few toms with the dual tone controls.

I would like to know the badge numbers on the bass, small tom and snare.

Posted on 16 years ago

Since I already have these images hosted I might as well get some more use out of them providing the straight Jazzette goods to those who may not be familiar with this stunningly beautiful Outfit.

If you ever see you see one of these mahogany Jazzette's "in the flesh" you will fall in love, trust me on that one.........

From Catalog No.'67, released in the Fall of 1966........

[IMG]http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL770/2917504/13197092/196385540.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL770/2917504/13197092/196385682.jpg[/IMG]

LVDC

All Catalog images shown in my posts were generated by me (scanning) and are from my personal files........
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here