Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Painted wrap test............

Last week I was asking about a painted satin wrap on a drum I was interested in. This sparked some interest with me having tried a few of the box store sold chemicals in the past to remove paint off a old bass hoop with a inlay. Worked well on the wood hoop but I should have removed the inlay and done it seperate..... rookie mistake. Working in the Printing trade I have come across a ton of chemicals. Some very harsh that'll melt your skin and some very mild that mix with water and everything in between. And thought maybe one of them would work. My first test failed and the wrap melted. I decided to pass on the drum not knowing if I could safely remove the paint without damage to the wrap. So I inquired about some samples of press wash from a few vendors and found one that worked pretty well. Here we go.......

The test subject is a piece of 50's Gretsch WMP wrap. The paint is Duplicolor Hi Temp engine enamel in black. I globbed on some thick coats letting them dry in between. I then let them dry for several days. This wrap also has the original glue on the back. I plan to look for a test shell and this one I only had a few scraps of old wrap to test with. Here's a few pics what I started with.

2 attachments
Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Next the chemical I used was Varn's VWM wash. This is a water miscible press wash that can be diluted with water. Very mild. This can be bought from any Graphic Arts supply house and is normally available in quart, gallon and 5 gallon containers. I mixed some VWM wash 50-50 with warm water. Note...when you mix the VWM and water together it'll turn a milky white color which is normal. I put one painted wrap sheet on a shop towel and wiped it down with the mix. The paint came right off with little effort. Then I put the other into a small bucket with 50-50 mix. The piece on the right in the 2nd pic I scuffed with sandpaper to see if the paint would come out of the scratches.....it did.

2 attachments
Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

Then I dropped both pieces into a bucket with a fresh 50-50 mix and let them sit for several hours to see if there was any long exposure damage...none. Also the glue came off the back easily.

2 attachments
Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

I'll test a few more types of wrap and hopefully a painted shell in the future. But thought this was a promising start to another solution/option to the painted wraps out there. :)

Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

Here's one last pic of both test pieces (top right and left) and a another piece of the same wrap below as it came off the drum. No visable difference in color or shade. No hazing or dull finish what so ever. One last thing I did wipe the test pieces down with straight water after to remove any residue.

1 attachments
Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

Excellent thread! Very valuable information indeed!!! Thanks!

Curtis

Posted on 11 years ago

Hmmm, Press Wash. Who'da thunk it?

I'll have to try it next time a paint removal project shows up. Thanks for doing the experiment and for posting the results.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks guys. It's still a work in progress but looks very promising. Once I get my hands on a test shell it'll try it again with a few different types of paint. I think with a shell that's had paint on it for years it might need a little time to work in. That's why I did the longer soak with them covered in chemistry. I'd think a soft brush to get in hard to get places would help a bit. Overall I'm pleased with the results so far.

Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

Make this thread a sticky. Great info! many thanks for your efforts!

Press Wash?

Posted on 11 years ago

Glenn, thanks for the experiment. I agree this should be a sticky also. Good work, and thank you.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here