Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Packing and Shipping Nightmares

Hey all,

This thread was inspired by Kona`s recent experience with the red sparkle set that was shipped to him with clothes, diapers, pop bottles, etc. as packing material...

I`m sure we all have a story to tell...

For me, it was a crash cymbal shipped in a pizza box with no padding, bubble wrap, peanuts or anything...This thing had to travel 2000 miles!! Luckily, it arrived unscathed, but, the box wasn`t so lucky...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 9 years ago

I purchased a 3pc Ludwig Standard kit, in Red Mist, some years ago. As soon as I saw the box, I feared the worst! Next to no packing around the bass drum. As you can see, one of the lugs really took a hit in shipping, forcing the lug down through the shell! The seller refunded $100, which made the kit a bargain, even though it cost me $50 to have it repaired.

-Mark

Posted on 9 years ago

There has to be more stories out there!!

idrum4fun...That`s too bad...A little extra care in packing goes a long way...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 9 years ago

My sparkling blue pearl Rogers set came in round boxes back in 2003.

They were well packed, I think it was a UPS thing that made them round. Thankfully nothing was injured.

I have also received a cymbal in a pizza box.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 9 years ago

Like many of you, I have received drums packed well with bubble wrap or other appropriate protective material, and I have also received drums that looked like the seller simply emptied their trash bin or basket into the box and called it good.

The most memorable I received was a snare drum packed entirely in old clothes. Mostly old t shirts, but there was a pair of old jeans in there as well.

It was not from a member of this site.

Posted on 9 years ago

I sold a 1936 Slingerland 8"x12" tom with calfskin heads to a fellow in California. I thought it was packed well but when he received it, it had been crushed in the box by USPS. We think it got caught in the conveyor or something. He sent it back to me and I refunded his money. Thank goodness I insured it for $200. I took it to my local post office and they paid me the insurance money and didn't keep the drum. So I sold the undamaged lugs, muffler, one head, and one rim that was not damaged and all the clips on eBay. I ended up making $450 on that drum that I got free from a CL add and it financed my whole 1960 Slingerland drum set restoration.

Posted on 9 years ago

I have received drums packed great and well organized , and I have seen a use of empty water bottles for packing materials and I really don't like peanuts lol

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 9 years ago

I bought a Rogers kit from a seller on eBay and they took it to a local UPS store and had it shipped, cases and all. The store employees basically put the kit in the cases and shipped them, needless to say the bass drum case and bass drum were heavily damaged, as they did a better job on the other cases and drums. I contacted the seller and they gave me the number of the UPS store. Called them and they said to call UPS corporate, which I did and they said the store is responsible. Back and forth with the two and finally I had to file a claim with PayPal. They came through with shining colors. I will never use UPS as a shipping option just due to that hassle.

When I ship, I usually get compliments on how well it was done. Not ringing my own bell, but if I purchased something I'd expect the same.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 9 years ago

Had some RARE Paiste 602 13" SE hats shipped to me from Sweden once in a pizza box!..Sent them a email tell

ing them they need to pack better!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 9 years ago

I bought a Zildjian First Stamp hi hat from the west coast. When the USPS priority box arrived, there was nothing in it. Seller tells me they just put it in the box at the post office and used a piece of tape over the end of the box! The lost cymbal was found that day at my local post office. It had fallen out of the box and they had no idea what to do with it. Lucked out on that one.

Had an ebay seller try pull a slick one. Seller has/had 100 percent feedback but a "questionable" reputation. Bought a super thin 22 Block Stamp from him. It arrived in a bass drum head box with no packing or anything. I was shocked to say the least. Found that it had a radial crack about an inch in from the bottom. I think it was already cracked and he shipped it hoping to get Fed Ex to pay him for it. The cymbal still sounds great and you have to look for the crack. I kept it and enjoy it. Just know better than to deal with him again.

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here