Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Overpaid?

I see threads devoted to what your best score was from time to time and we all want to come across that special deal at yard sale or thrift store of course...

But what item have you overpaid for just because you had to have it?

It wasn't too, too much but I just picked up a pre serial # SBP Pioneer snare because I soooooo wanted it and got tired of waiting for the perfect deal, probably paid about $100 more than I ideally wanted to.

So fess up if you want, how have you helped the economy & the vintage drum market? :D

Posted on 15 years ago

Oh, certainly!

Most of my overpayment was for hardware pieces that I needed to complete a kit. I have paid $100.00 for a $50.00 stand many times. Things like that. Luckily, I have paid fair-to-low prices for the drum kits I own, though. So, it all kind of balances out in the end. If I paid $100.00 for a $50.00 stand, I also paid $5.00 for a mint condition gold sparkle Pioneer! See what I mean? It's all about the "Gestalt"!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

$115 for spurs that I had to have.

$125 for a half set of T's for a kit I needed to finish.

$675 for a Radio King Snare. All the original parts were there and it was in good shape to start a restoration.

Sometimes it's a buyers market and sometimes it's not.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

$300 for an 18" amber Vistalite floor tom missing the muffler and a rim, and I'm not even putting together a Bonham kit. LOL

Posted on 15 years ago

Well there was this Vespe cocktail drum in the window of a pawn shop I frequent that had Rogers floor tom leg mount hardware on it. One day I go by and the drum is gone. So I'm bummed because I wanted and needed that leg hardware. So later I got back and found the drum had just been taken out of the window so somebody could look at. I got jumpy and gave $150 for the darn thing.. it's kind of a piece of crap... but I did get the leg hardware.

Geez.. basically I paid $50 a piece for 3 Rogers leg mounts and Rogers thumb screws, what the heck was I thinking???

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Right at a grand for a Slingerland 80N Buddy Rich kit (without any stands). It was not what I drove to Dallas to pick up. I went there for two Ludwig Standard kits and a Ludwig Big Beat in Blue Oyster and a Fibes Clear Acrylic kit. One Standard kit had a damaged floor. The other red strata had faded to a puke pink color. The blue oyster was a muted bowling ball color and the clear kit had cracks. I was so depressed. I saw the Slingerland kit and fell in love with it. They didn't move an inch on the price. That really bugged me. But, I drove over five hours for some vintage drums and I wasn't leaving without a kit. So I loaded them into the car. All in all, it turned out to be a nice kit. Expensive as heck, once you factor in all of the hardware and stands and such...but nice.

Posted on 15 years ago

Not horrible, but (I think) like $275 for a 14x24 Slingerland bass just for 10 t-rods, 10 claws, and a (non-matching) hoop. Got sick of looking for the pieces individually. Of course, like 2 weeks later I saw another same-sized bass drum with the same hardware for $100...booooooooooooooooooo!

Troy

Posted on 15 years ago

"...But what item have you overpaid for just because you had to have it?"

Many snare drums...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 15 years ago

I paid $800NZD for a 28" ludwig & ludwig bass drum with paint lake scene head various traps and a incomplete early 30's beverelly england snare drum. That's about $500USD so probably a bit too much.

Posted on 15 years ago

I paid $1400 for a rosewood teardrop 13,16,20. Got caught up in ebay bidding. Wonderful drums though, in great condition. Like others have said though, it offsets things like the 1928 10 lug black beauty I got for $50.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here