Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

orange peel acro

ive finally started restoring my acro ,as im stripping it i find this orange color and was thinking i remember something about this pre serial acro orange peel being in some colors or is that just rumors

1 attachments
April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

Doug, the very early acro prototypes had a bare aluminum 'dimpled' finish on the shell. (Looks like an orange peel.) But they never had color. Your probably remembering someone's description of the texture on the metal. Nothing to do with color, buddy...

John

1 attachments
42.7 kB
Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

cool

i will show progress someone went through the trouble to strip the drum before painting it as my drum is first run i show pics as i go

ty gary

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

Dude, wait! Don't run away so fast... lol

Where did you find that drum? Are those 'rolled' bearing edges on that shell? Come on, give! Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Great score, amigo. Even restored, that's $600+ worth of drum you're holding there.

Also.. if that drum is one of the really early ones, everything on it will be made of aluminum. Makes the drum rarer and more valuable, but it means you don't want to use it as a player. The reason they changed everything a year after these came out is; tons of returns and complaints about the aluminum lugs cracking left and right. The following year, no more aluminum lugs. Check see what you have. An aluminum bowtie is going to be noticeably lighter than a regular/later one.

John

Posted on 12 years ago

John

heres another pic and i 'm not sure on the hoops if there aluminumim they would be satin like lugs after i clean it all up we will see what i got here it cost 20 on craigs list a while back

gary

1 attachments
1967 super classic obp

Posted on 12 years ago

Gary - That's a super rare-bird you have there. Like I said earlier, if you ever decide to flip it, you can start that puppy at $600. and be right in the old wheelhouse price-wise. Reinforced seam, rolled bearing edges, it's got all the signs of an -early- protoype.

What a score! You're a lucky, lucky hound...Burger Kin

John

Posted on 12 years ago

thats cool John

ill show progress i have it bagged with back to nature stripper on it, by thurs fri i should have it close to reassembly

1967 super classic obp

Posted on 12 years ago

well here it is after wrapping it in ultra strip for 2 days in plastic then soft scrub brush and more stripper with hot water for final what do you boys think !!!!

3 attachments
1967 super classic obp

Posted on 12 years ago

That is a sweet snare. Great grab for a much admired and deserving member. Congrats.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

Niiiice! Can't wait to see it all done! Did you ever determine if those are the aluminum lugs on there?

John

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here