Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Nickel Plating at Home

Within the last year I purchased a set of late 50's Slingerland Radio Kings. The hardware is nickel plated. I've been going through these cleaning them up, polishing things, repainting the hoops etc, the usual type of thing. The problem is that when you get one thing looking good it makes everthing aorund it look worse, and some of the plated parts were somewhat marginal. I scrounged enough good lugs, but a couple of the hoops were pretty bad, and a lot of the plating on the Bass drum t-rods was worn off. I had the rims replated at a professional shop with good results, but it was very expensive. If I took all the parts that needed refreshing to the plater it would have cost me more than the drums did, so I decided to try my hand at electroplating.

I bought a 3 gallon nickel kit for $250 from Caswell plating (www.caswellplating.com) and borrowed a power supply from a friend. I sat and looked at it all for a few weeks trying to find the time and courage to try it out. Well I finally did so last weekend, trying it out on a couple of the T-rods and a floor tom leg bracket. I am very happy with the results. You do need to be sure that everything is cleaned, polished and properly prepared before plating, but when you do it really looks great. I finished the rest of the t-rods this weekend, along with a few motorcycle parts. At this point I figure I'm inching into the black compared to having these done professionally, which was estimated at about $10-12 per t-rod or small bracket.

The current setup is good for small parts that fit in a 3 gallon tank. I need to cook up a special tank for things like stands, and another for hoops.

At some point I'll try my hand with lugs, but they will need a to be plated with "flash copper" before nickel because they are made of pot metal.

Recommended for the dedicated restorer/tinkerer.

'56-'59 Slingerland BDP "Krupa Deluxe Ensemble"
DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Various orphan shells and parts nearing critical mass
Posted on 13 years ago

That sounds pretty cool... any chance of some photos/details? I wouldn't have thought that could be done on a small scale, but now you've got me thinkin...

Posted on 13 years ago

I'll post a T-rod "before/after" picture tonight.

I've got a pretty thrashed tom mount in process right now that should be interesting.

DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Posted on 13 years ago

How easy is it to use?

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Not too bad really, the difficult part is getting the part you are plating cleaned up and polished prior to plating.

If you don't it's a garbage-in, shiney garbage-out process.

Here's an after/before of example t-rods. As you can see on the right, the original plating was pretty much worn off, brass was showing thorugh on the tops and the bottoms were somewhat rusty, especially prior to cleaning and polishing.

1 attachments
DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Posted on 13 years ago

Nice job, they Look Great. Can you chrome plate with your system too.Cool1

Posted on 13 years ago

This is just for nickel. Every other material needs another setup. They do have a thing called "copy chrome" that is supposed to be nearly identical to chrome, but I haven't seen that yet.

Chrome is a different ballgame in that the chemicals are more harmful and I think it needs a lot more power. Also, to do chrome right you need to do copper first, then nickel, then chrome. I think the full up chrome kit is something like $750, so you have to be pretty committed. On the other hand, $750 is probably what you'd have into hardware for a single drumset if done at a professional shop.

I imagine that I will graduate to chrome eventually, but for now I guess I need to stick to drums with nickel hardware.

DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Posted on 13 years ago

I know some of the guys on this forum would give you plenty of business to plate their stuff.

Posted on 13 years ago

Lenos:

How did you make out with your tom mount? Can you post some pics?

Posted on 13 years ago

I ordered the cheap Plug n Plate nickel kit last week to try on some smallish parts. At $34, I figure it's worth a try.

Nice work.

jim

'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 13 years ago