Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Nice old Pearl kit

I love that wrap. They don't really make it like that anymore.

1 attachments
74.7 kB
Posted on 14 years ago

YES!!!! That is the real McCoy there buddy. That `s what it`s alll about. Gold OysterPearl

Is that your own kit? Looks like either a Thunderking or a DownBeat 72-74 around there- with that wrap earlier in that time line is likely. Valuable.Sumo Dudelove it

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey Osa!

I don't own it.............but may. Yeah it is definitely seriously funky wrap and I can hear it and even smell the kit already! It smell good!!!!

Posted on 14 years ago

That would be a nice aquisitionCool1

*Amedia Cymbals Japan

Posted on 14 years ago

It would be a nice aquisition.

BTW- Thats a fairly impressive stable you got there!

Posted on 14 years ago

Someone hit me with 1969 Pearl catalog a few years back and I really got the 69 bug! lol (no comment) I dig everything about the Pearl 69 line up- the hardware, the wraps, the total concept- It was before they began moving production out to Taiwan- so when a 69 comes up on auction I take it. One score I just got last week was a great 69 deluxe snare stand.

1 attachments
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

Posted on 14 years ago

Couple quick questions: What year did Pearl move their operations to Taiwan? Was there some overlap where they were built in both places?

Also, O-bop, are those floor tom feet on that snare stand???

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey there, not floor tom feet - this one is stock accurate - but they are really similar to floor tom feet. It`s an unusual design that gribs the snare from the sides of the drum and the curve of those legs look very unique to my eyes.

I would have to go back and check the Pearl website but basically they opened a plant to Taiwan in the early 1970s- like 72 if I remember correctly. But they always kept the production of some lines in Japan. I have a 75 Challenger snare that says made in Japan-[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/Osakabop/th_PearlChallengersnare.jpg[/IMG] so even the lower level lines had some Japnese production. For me- the big break off on what I collect and don`t collect is when they shifted to that $%# ugly big pipe tom mount. DOH

*Amedia Cymbals Japan

Posted on 14 years ago

I like the 69 deluxe snare stand. I have a number 800 hihat stand appears in the 1975 catalogues. They have "Made in Japan" under the footboard and tension adjustment. I'd like to know what year they arrived.

Posted on 14 years ago

[html]For me- the big break off on what I collect and don`t collect is when they shifted to that $%# ugly big pipe tom mount. [/html]

@osakabop It's funny how things change. I purchased a Pearl kit with the ugly pipe tom mounts in 1992 (it was at least 10 years old then). It was what I considered at the time to be my first proper kit. It replaced an old 60's Pearl kit that I considered to be a learner kit.

To be fair, it may be ugly but the quality is very good (maple shells, made in Japan). I still own it and until about a year ago it was the only kit I had owned in all those years (I now have 5 - not sure what happened there). It has travelled a big chunk of the world in the back of tour vans, chucked around by baggage handlers and roadies and has recorded 3 albums. The hardware that came with it was mainly tama from the 80's and most of it is still going strong today. I still use the hihat stand and BD pedal as my main gigging stuff.

All that said, I am now back to using an old Pearl kit (about 71/72) as my main gigging kit. And i love it, especially the way it looks, although it sounds excellent too.

I mention this because I too find the newer design ugly now, but once upon a time I thought it looked cool. I suspect I'll find it cool looking again someday too. And I know I'll never sell it.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here