Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Newbie who just inherited Premier set from Uncle for son.

Hey everyone. Im brand new to the site. Im a guitar player not a drummer first off, so I know very little about drums! I inherited these from my uncle and was wondering if anyone could help me identify them. I am curious about age, finish, and any if all value. All help would be greatly appreciated! My son is 3 and a half and this will be the set he learns on regardless if they are junk or not! They also round out a pretty cool man room! Also does anyone know where I could get a new premier bass drum head? This is for the outside one that doesn't get hit. Someone put a tama one on.

I did find out the snare in the background is a Ludwig from 1969, so I thought that was cool.

Thanks again!

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

You're going to have to show us more photos than just the one you have up there.

Posted on 6 years ago

Yes, more pics would help. From what I can tell these are early 70's and might be a B303 model (pictured). Pictures of the inside of the drums would also help (some have african mahogany inside, others birch), as well as a pic of the single lugs on the floor tom. This pic is from Vintage Drum Guide, the sister site to VDF & there are lots of catalogues to browse.

Premiers from this period are fantastic drums and your son is very lucky to inherit these, though I'd suggest starting him out on something smaller in the meantime. My 7 year old daughter has a kit with a 16" bass drum and she only recently started to reach the pedals properly.

As for logos for a bass drum front head (reso head), I'd buy a white single ply coated head (like a Remo Ambassador for example) and by a sticker logo off of ebay. Here's one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premier-Drums-vintage-logo-7-X-2-5-Black-logo-sticker-decal-bass-drum-/151467789113

Also, the tom showing in the pic is upside down.

1 attachments
1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 6 years ago

Wow that is embarrassing! Well I proved my newbie status I guess. Both sides of the head have been hit, so I am not the first one to do this I guess! Here are some more pics that should help. I will research that model you provided as well.

Thanks for the help guys. This set means a lot to me. As far as my son, he is only getting used to hitting the drums. I just want him to be interested until he can play for real. It would be cool some day if he learned to play on it though.

3 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Early 70's, shells are African Mahogany - beautiful kit you got there

Posted on 6 years ago

Ok let’s make this easy first off welcome , now the schooling the side that gets hit is the batter side the side that does not is the resonance or as we call it the res side for short and I agree with reach for a youngster a smaller starter set would be grand , and they make a lot at reasonable prices , as far as value premiers have not been a big player in the collection group but do sound very good with right heads , tuning etc as a axe man like a difference between a Mexican Strat and early Japanese Strat hope this helps gary

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 6 years ago

From funkypoodle

Yes, more pics would help. From what I can tell these are early 70's and might be a B303 model (pictured). Pictures of the inside of the drums would also help (some have african mahogany inside, others birch), as well as a pic of the single lugs on the floor tom. This pic is from Vintage Drum Guide, the sister site to VDF & there are lots of catalogues to browse. Premiers from this period are fantastic drums and your son is very lucky to inherit these, though I'd suggest starting him out on something smaller in the meantime. My 7 year old daughter has a kit with a 16" bass drum and she only recently started to reach the pedals properly.As for logos for a bass drum front head (reso head), I'd buy a white single ply coated head (like a Remo Ambassador for example) and by a sticker logo off of ebay. Here's one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premier-Drums-vintage-logo-7-X-2-5-Black-logo-sticker-decal-bass-drum-/151467789113Also, the tom showing in the pic is upside down.

Welcome to VDF.

This post covers everything, pretty much. I have a very similar kit, same finish. Like others have said, you have a very cool kit there. 1970's Premier drums, especially early to mid 70's, are their best, imo. The African Mahogany shells are super nice (my favorite of all vintage shells).

If you're up to it, I'd suggest doing a strip down, cleaning, waxing the shells (in and out), some new heads, ones that best suit the drums, etc. Premier has the best chrome-period. They owned the factory that did Rolls Royce's chrome. Once cleaned, it'll look like a million bucks.

I've attached a few pictures I've kept, from one of the Premier Facebook groups I belong to. Gives you an idea what they can look like, after some TLC.

Cheers.

3 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Wow thanks for the info everyone! Yes I am putting new heads on eventually. Starting with the bass drum today. Should I get one with a hole in it so I can stuff it? I thought I read somewhere where it already had a baffle ring on the batter side. Im also going to tune them as I have been doing a lot of research on that subject.

I need to definitely dust them and polish. There is also a small split someone patched on the bass drum that I will take to get repaired. Im very happy to learn what these are. All I know is that they were bought at a garage sale for $150 many years ago from a lady selling her son's drums. Seeing as how there are ludwig stands and the old ludwig snare, I imagine he came home very mad!

Posted on 6 years ago

Do you have any pictures of the snare? Beautiful premier set. I've got a worse condition premier kit from the same era.

Posted on 6 years ago

That's a nice kit!

And, from what I could see of the snare, it appears to be an Acrolyte.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here