Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

New Score! Roxy??

I just got this home. I never heard of this brand but a Google search led me to some old VDF posts. There was not much to go on and I couldn't find ANY info outside of the forum. All badges are in tact and read Hamburg, made in Western Germany. I took a chance because the price was right, $85.

The past posts I found were seven years old so hopefully someone has gained some knowledge of these in the meantime and could share since I came up with nothing.

THE GOOD: The red sparkle wrap is surprisingly rich and shiny. All the heart shaped lock downs are present and accounted for. The chrome, while looking pitted and dull, should come back with a good soaking. The shells are 3 ply with 6 ply re-rings. Interior surface is smooth maple that could use a clear coat. But definitely not the stringy Asian mahogany here. Nice bearing edges that could use a light touch up by hand. Tom mount complete.

THE BAD: Missing one bass tension rod. The snare throw is missing parts. Seam shrinkage and separation on all drums but not lifting so I can live with that. Slotted tension rods on the snare and tom.

Biggest bummer is the bass drum size is less than 20"! It measures about 19.75" so if anyone knows where to find heads for this I'd appreciate the info.

-Bass 19.75 x 13

-Tom 10 x 8 concert

-Snare 13 x 5

-Elton external bass muffler

-Meteor Turkish Cymbal 12.5"

I recall reading that a member once had this same configuration, so I don't think it's missing the floor tom. It may have been sold like this. I don't know anything about the cymbal or bass muffler.

Ralf, have you seen these kits around Germany?

Posted on 7 years ago

Surf I watched that ebay ad for a couple months

as I need that snare drum to complete my kit

But the seller was anavailable and did not want to ship

The bass drum tom reciever is damaged on my kit also

the snare drum in my pic is a Pearl made Stewart from the orphanage

The Roxy kits are made by Tromsa

Posted on 7 years ago

I see your kit looks a bit more traditional with lugs top and bottom and the floor tom. Are yours made in Hamburg? I understand they eventually became a stencil brand out of Japan...

I see you have the heart shaped keepers but I haven't seen those bass spurs before. Looks like seam splitting is common on these. And it looks like your floor tom has a muffler.

There is something a little off about my kit, from the odd sized bass drum to the concert tom to the lack of real bass lugs with a single tension rod that slip through a tiny eye-let. While the build seems decent, I think mine may have been a starter kit? Especially after seeing your more "playable" version that looks like you can really hit them.

These pics are all that is left of the throw. Does anyone know what the rest looks like?

2 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Surf as you mention your kit was most likely a little starter combo for a smaller youngster

your seller stated they had once belonged to his dad

but I would guess his dad was very young when he recieved them.

Yes mine have the identical badge Hamburg Germany

Which according to one of our other members was not the town they were actually made in

They are German made but maybe Hamburg was more recognizable and looked better on the badges.

While cleaning up the chrome

I made the mistake of completely backing out the Heart shaped fastener

that tightens the tom post within the bass drum reciever

What I did not realize was that because that fastener simply tightens against the tom arm

and over time, being metal to metal like that, the end of the threaded fastener gets peened over

by my backing it completely out like I did for cleaning

I was then unable to re-install that thread damaged fastener

back into the body of the bass drum reciever without making a crossthreading problem

The spurs you see on my kit did come with the drums at the time

but are not the originals they are the old Ludwig hoop mounted type

I have since found some that are a little closer to the originals

Looks like most of the throw is there save for maybe the lever but not 100% on that

Posted on 7 years ago

It looks like this.......

1 attachments
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

Whoa! Thanks for the heads up on the heart keepers! I was going to back them out for the soaking.

As I'm starting to strip these, I'm seeing that these, even though most likely a starter kit,

are actually well made. The interiors are in nice shape but seem a bit "dry". I may seal them. The little 10x8 is beefy too. But I think the tom mounts and bass spur mounts are plated aluminum if thats possible.

Posted on 7 years ago

And a red one to confirm.....

1 attachments

Posted on 7 years ago

From surfcollector

Whoa! Thanks for the heads up on the heart keepers! I was going to back them out for the soaking. As I'm starting to strip these, I'm seeing that these, even though most likely a starter kit,are actually well made. The interiors are in nice shape but seem a bit "dry". I may seal them. The little 10x8 is beefy too. But I think the tom mounts and bass spur mounts are plated aluminum if thats possible.

Use beeswax. Please.

Posted on 7 years ago

My catalog pic shows this configuration simply as a ... ROXY-F

Posted on 7 years ago

"Biggest bummer is the bass drum size is less than 20"! It measures about 19.75" so if anyone knows where to find heads for this I'd appreciate the info."

Sir, not a bummer.

A 20" drum should measure from 19 7/8" to 19 3/4" OD.

Drums are always a bit smaller in OD.

A Standard size, 20" BD head will fit well.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here