Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

New rhythm 80 year old snare.

Hi!

I have a snare that is about 80 years old according to the salesman, I have three questions.

1, the snare is in cm, so I can't find any new heads for it, is it worth folding calfskin to make it work? I might add that it is for classical purposes.

My plan (if nothing else is suggested) is to fold one skin out of an old timpani head as a bottom head and one out of batter calf skin (a bit thicker) as a batter head.

2, the snare that was on was in terrible shape so I got rid of it. It had kinda like guitar strings, is there any point in trying to get one of those snares, making one out of guitar strings, or should I go with new ones?

I'm probably going to do this anyway, but I want to try making one out of guitar strings and if that is bad, then I going for a new one.

3, the batter hoop broke in the transportation, just a clean straight cut, do you have any good idea on how to repair it?

My plan is to use pop rivets and a bit of scrap metal and try to sand it down so it doesn't scratch the skin.

Any input?

And if you wan't to see pictures there is a thread in vintage nun-USA drums, new rhythm???

Posted on 10 years ago

Hello and welcome! I cant help you but there are guys in here that can. You really need to post pictures directly to the this thread to get some responses. Good luck with the project!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

Okay, so here are some pictures. I really don't wan't to spam, but it got to the part in the last post that I considered it to belong here!

Posted on 10 years ago

Okay, so I talked to John Kapernekas, (if that says anything, he's an american working in Sweden and is without a doubt the greatest recognizer of drums I've ever met) and shoved him pictures, he didn't know the brand, but he were absolutely positive that the snare is from the 30s or 40s. So that feels great! Anyway, I've been restoring it for a couple of weeks and the only thing I miss right now is a top head that is fitted for this snare since it has pre-interntational measurements this is going to be a problem.

John can make me one for about $100, with a brand new ring (the ring that was on was in wood, and is a bit to old to reuse) made for my snare, or he can sell me a calfskin, tools and a new ring for about $150.

What would you recommend me doing?

anyway, things are really coming along! I'll get you some pictures when I'm done! If I ever get done!

Posted on 10 years ago

What IS the actual diameter of the drum? Is it a Premier equivalent? If so, some Remo heads are available. Could you post a picture of the badge, please?

Posted on 10 years ago

Well the thing about the measurement is weird, it's 34,4 cm, which is 13,543307 inches, so I don't really know what the person who built this was thinking! Sorry, I don't know what premier equivalent is...

I have a friend working in a drumstore, so he ordered some of remos pre-international heads that you were talking about, and they would't fit.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Hi,

Couple of questions if I may...

I have never seen reinforcement rings or bearing edges like the ones on that drum. The re-rings are so small and rounded over, that it almost looks like the 'rolled' bearing edge on a metal drum! My questions are:

1. The wood appears to be either Birch or maple. Do you know which?

2. Do you see any plies on the edge of the shell, or is it one solid piece?

That is one intriguing drum. I know nothing about the company or the brand, but I know quality when I see it and that drum looks well constructed. I wouldn't bother with guitar stings for snares unless you can individually tension them. Purchase a set of vintage 'Snappy Snares' and try them on the drum. It'll sound great first try.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

I don't know if it's maple or birch, sorry. And I can't really tell them apart.

That's is one of the cool things about this snare, it is in one piece!

Thanks of the tip, Iv'e been bothering with guitar strings for 2 days! I think I reached a pretty good result but I don't have a batter head so I really can't tell. But I will probably change to a normal snare mat.

The pictures are just to show the ring since everyone is interested in it!

Posted on 10 years ago

Do I see three plies?

Posted on 10 years ago

Yeah, as far as I can tell! This drum is a bit of a mystery!

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here