Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

NEGI 60's JAPANESE KIT! ANY INFO?

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone has any info on this kit? I bought it off a guy for peanuts and am looking at restoring it. The bass drum is tiny but has a

really tight pop.

Any info on Negi at all would be awesome!

Tried to upload photos but am a bit doughy with computers so do not know how to make jpgs smaller to upload! my email is [email]jrski27@hotmail.com[/email] if you

are a collector/fan/interested in Negi......

Cheersband3

Posted on 13 years ago

Negi is a drum company in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka. My understanding is they are a very nice made drum. Have never seen one, but hopefully you can post some pic's.

Posted on 13 years ago

here are some pics.....

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Google Negi drums and you will find a thread in the "non USA forum".

Posted on 13 years ago

Something tells me that someone installed that Gretsch looking plate in the middle of the bass drum..

But i do like the tom tom mount alot....def a Rodgers copy there.

Nice drums....nice color and worthy of a restore. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on 13 years ago

Cool kit! That tom mount center section IS a ROGERS!

Posted on 13 years ago

some pics, not sure what the shells are, i hear they are maple, 3ply.

the royal ace snare came up nice. the wooden bass drum hoops are being repaired, once they are done i will set it up and post pics :)

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

I have alot of Negi drums I use at my drum school- they are great. Similar to late 60s Pearls. I have been told they used Birch on most of their drum shells. The 4 Negi snares and 10,12,14 toms I have all seem to be a hardwood other than luan (different grain pattern) so I assume it is birch. I have seen lots of cool Negi vintage kits auctioning around Japan- in general I am a big Negi fan. I have seen a few super high end Negi snares that are fine hardwood (I assume maple). I say go for it.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago

No, Negi is famous for the Beech shell. Actually maple were started to used at some point. Now, they stopped using Beech due to supply problem. They also have been making school drums which are probably made from cheap woods.

I used to have a nice 18" bop kit. They sounded great.

The former president of Negi drum was a big fan of Gretsch drums, so they tried to copy the sound of Gretsch. I don't know why press hoops and reinforcement ring shell, though.

I think Negi was the best drums in 60s, early 70s in Japan. Pearl or Yamaha used mostly cheap woods at that time.

BTW, Hamamatsu is near my town.

Posted on 13 years ago

That's what it was- beech, not birch- thank you for the correction. I would love to see more of them- that bop kit must have been awesome.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here