Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Need Opinion On Drum Heads Please

Hey guys I am starting to restore my drum set. I am wondering what peoples opinions on heads are. I am leaning to either do one of these things....

Get all the original WFL 50's drum heads (will they look new and shiny and hows the sound? How do they compare to newer Remo's?)

Remo Ambassadors on the snare, tom, and floor tom. Clear on the bottom coated on the top. I will run a powerstroke 3 on the bass though, love that deep bass the drum makes. Also they have remakes of the 60's front ludwig head and I like the look of them.

Whats your guy's thoughts on it? I am more leaning to the new heads as the drums will still be played off and on, although original heads would make it as complete as can be.

Thanks for the opinions guys much appreciated!!

Posted on 12 years ago

emperors, on all batters ambassadors on all reso's and use the felts strips that used to come on all vintage drums you can not sound bad like this..

Posted on 12 years ago

Plus 1 to Mike T's post......... Emperor's on the bass drum even.

They come white, coated, clear, black and smooth coated white............you won't be disappointed!

Glen

Posted on 12 years ago

Check out Remo's Renaissance series for that vintage calfskin tone look. Available in most all their popular sizes & ply weights.

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/53/ds_renaissance.html

[IMG]http://photos.imageevent.com/makurtz/makurtzfirstalbum/websize/drum%20head%20002.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 12 years ago

I think I might go ambassador only because I don't want a kinda old old look. I like this kit but I am polishing and cleaning and it would be weird to put a head counter acting what I am doing.

Posted on 12 years ago

As for your options, I second #2.

Otherwise, I like Ludwig Weather Master Coated.

Posted on 12 years ago

From Yoshi

As for your options, I second #2. Otherwise, I like Ludwig Weather Master Coated.

I was thinking about that too. Theres so many choices. I know we have the ambassadors on there now and the powerstroke on the bass drum and it sounds soooooo good. I am thinking I will go with choice 2 or some ludwig heads. I don't have the cash right now anyway just gathering opinions.

Posted on 12 years ago

It's hard to go wrong with Ambassadors on the resos and Emperors or Ambassadors on the batters. I'd go with coated heads on all sides rather than clear resos. You'll still have plenty of resonance even with coated resos, and there will be more warmth and a cooler vintage look.

If you're looking for something a little different, you might try the Aquarian American Vintage series. I have them on my Club Dates and love them. They're like Ambassadors but slightly warmer, and they have a nice cream color to them. The coating also seems much more durable than the Remo coating--I've been playing on these heads for months and don't even see stick marks. Plus they're a bit wider to accommodate vintage shells. Nice heads.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 12 years ago

Ludwig heads are also good, and are quite inexpensive. You have lots of options.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 12 years ago

You should at least try one coated Aquarian on one tom, just to see if you might like it. Also their bass heads are phenomenal. I have mainly used the coated Studio-X on my Dynasonic.

The Vintage series are really funky. I would give that a go if you could.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here